Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenihan won't force banks to pass on cut

Options
  • 09-10-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

This really upset me this morning....

Im probably not understanding it correctly so, I would be greatful if some of the economics boffins can explain to me how this is Ok

My first thoughts were:
    1) Ulster bank and the ones who wont pass it on are just sayign F you to their Variable Mortgage holders, profitering....
    2) Banks who will accept the guarantee scheme, dont give a Fup about the tax payer, and will be back to their old trick again...
    3) The Gov have no backbone, and will not implement any reasonable conditions with the Guarantee, and just another cas of FF looking after their buddies

But as I said, Im probably not understanding all the in's and out's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

More likely the case that rates were cut to allow banks to gain a bigger margin between wholesale and retail margin so that they can afford to pay their bills again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Interbank money markets are the problem. If banks have to pay a hefty premium to access this market then you can't expect them to lower their interest rates on mortgages. There isn't a perfect correlation between ECB/BoE minimum bid rates and mortgage rates (unless you're on a tracker mortgage, as that's a stipulation).

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

fair enough, but why are some banks passing it on any others not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

This is an example of some small print that should have been included in the 400 billion + bank insurance scheme.

It also advocates labours refusal to vote for the scheme until they knew the small print.

I think that the government will put pressure on the banks behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

AIB and BOI are both passing it on in full

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

TheBazman wrote: »
    AIB and BOI are both passing it on in full

Proof or a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Proof or a link please?

Sceptical or what!
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/ireland/mhidkfauqlsn/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Anyone know if EBS are passing it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

they sure are....

I regret starting the post and getting annoyed, I forgot it was a game...
    UB an co siad no to the rate reduction pass on
    Gov includes them in the bailout
    UB and Co agree to pass on the rate reduction

Advertisement