Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Budget WYSIWYG Editor

Options
  • 09-10-2008 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to help someone who doesn't want to spend huge amounts of time learning html and css, and who can't stretch to dreamweaver. Most of the work they will be doing is editing a static basic site (not a CMS). I've shown them kompozer, but they are looking for a step up from that.

What's out there in the €20-€100 range that does wysiwyg and code editing, generates clean W3C code, and has a good CSS implementation? I'm looking for personal recommendations that people have actually used if possible. Currently looking at Serif Webplus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've used FCKEditor which is quite good and free. Ektron do one for about $100 which I connected to a CMS for a large Irish corporate, and it seemed to do the job well - it was pretty good with the CSS support as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

squibs wrote: »
    What's out there in the €20-€100 range that does wysiwyg and code editing, generates clean W3C code, and has a good CSS implementation?
    I haven't found an WYSIWYG editor that fits that bill in any price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just checked the Ektron site, and they charge a lot more than I remember.

Edit - sorry, I completely missed the point, for some reason I thought you were looking for an embedded editor for a CMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 major_pain

Hey I think I have the answer to your prayers, all hail to me.

I got a loan of Web Easy Professional 7 from a mate of mine last week to help make him a site.

I use Dreamweaver but he wanted something that he could mess with.

Web Easy Professional 7 is great. Drag and drop, WYSIWYG. The manual is crap and not much on the internet in regards to tutorials but the more you play around with it the more you realise how good it is.

No Coding needed. There are a few small bugs like centering of pages but I found a way around it.

He bought it for €50 in pcworld out in Liffey Valley.

Here's a link to a trial version

http://www.avanquest.com/UK/work/small-business/Sales-Marketing/VCOM_Web_Easy_Professional.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks for the responses!
    I haven't found an WYSIWYG editor that fits that bill in any price range.
    It's a tall order alright - a dreamweaver beater for €20 :)
    Edit - sorry, I completely missed the point, for some reason I thought you were looking for an embedded editor for a CMS.
    No worries - FCKeditor is my embedded editor of choice!
    Web Easy Professional 7 is great.
    Checking it out now - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 - free and like it or not it's got fantastic functionality. Of course it's aimed towards asp.net pages but it will work fine with normal html. Great css support, intellisense, collapsible code fragments in html, intellisense for javascript and so on.

Advertisement