Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad Irish Singing Instruction Materials

Options
  • 08-10-2008 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I want to improve my vocal skills for Irish folk muic and my understanding of traditional Irish vocal ornamentation.

I'm a lifelong blues player, very attached to the blues scale, blue notes, pentatonic scale, slurs, slides, playing behind the beat but, of course, I've always listened to Irish music and sung along with the grandparents and at the pub.

Can anyone suggest instruction CD's/DVD's, or even the best performance CD's of traditional a cappella singers to help me improve my Irish folk music singing style? More of folk songs than authentic sean nos (which I don't believe can be learned from a CD). I need to strengthen my ornamentation and timing, etc. in the Irish folk music style. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wise-one

Zoe Conway sings a brilliant version o Taimse im chodladh and it is practically acoustic so you can hear all of the techniques really well.
    Also, Iarla O lionard is very good you might find him on youtube....:)

Advertisement