Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Prices

Options
  • 08-10-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Fair play to that TD for complaining about the petrol station cartel in Ireland.

We all know that most towns are fixing prices, working together.

Also, how many petrol stations are now supplied by Topaz Energy? :mad:

There is obviously nobody looking after consumer regulations in this country :mad:

Comments

What is your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Fair play to that TD for complaining about the petrol station cartel in Ireland.

We all know that most towns are fixing prices, working together.

Also, how many petrol stations are now supplied by Topaz Energy? :mad:

There is obviously nobody looking after consumer regulations in this country :mad:
    It is not going to make one iota of a difference if they crack the cartel. Any savings made will be passed on to the exchequer in the upcoming budgets to make up for the enormous deficit that this country has got itself into. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Shop around is your only answer, I take it you've come across www.pumps.ie ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

It is not going to make one iota of a difference if they crack the cartel. Any savings made will be passed on to the exchequer in the upcoming budgets to make up for the enormous deficit that this country has got itself into. :mad:

Maybe I am being unfair or nieve but wont the cartel just pass on the full price increase to the customer.

The head of Topaz was on newstalk this morning saying that the price varience from station to station was down to the size and through put of each station.
    However one of the cheapest stations in dublin is the scalp near the Dublin sports hotel, which is probobly topaz's smallest station.

There is a very cool thesis for any final year economics student here.

Measure the causal correlation between station fuel sales volume and price.
    Then measure the causal correlation between between proximity to low cost competitor and price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

What's the story with Topaz? I've seen several garages convert to them in the last 2 months .

And on cartels. Take a drive in Portlaoise.
    Between the new Topaz station on the N80(Mountmellick road).
    To the roundabout at the garda station(about 1.5-2km)there are 5 stations and they all have the same price for petrol and diesel...thats competition for you. That's the way it was last night as I drove through anyway(123.9/128.9 were prices)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I think Topaz were the cmpany that bought Stat oil etc out years ago and now want to unify the brand across the globe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I think Topaz is an Irish company that was a wholesaler for years. It then bought Shell and Statoil's assets in Ireland and is now rebranding itself as a retail player

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Gareth37 wrote: »

The Competition Authority are charged with investigating cartels. Due to our constitutional requirements that "justice be administered through the courts", prosecuting companies who operate a cartel requires the same burden of proof as a murder case.

Think you could prove Topaz are part of a cartel beyond reasonable doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oil barrel is now below $80. SHOULD mean a €1 per litre in mid November - IF AND ONLY IF the cartel passes on the reductions (and if Lenihen don't increase excise on 14/10)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

JackieChan wrote: »
    What's the story with Topaz? I've seen several garages convert to them in the last 2 months .

And on cartels. Take a drive in Portlaoise.
    Between the new Topaz station on the N80(Mountmellick road).
    To the roundabout at the garda station(about 1.5-2km)there are 5 stations and they all have the same price for petrol and diesel...thats competition for you. That's the way it was last night as I drove through anyway(123.9/128.9 were prices)

If it is Diesel you are after, then Jones Oil beside Shaws Head office has it for 122.9c

• Advertisement
Advertisement