Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re Right of way / ROTR

Options
  • 08-10-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Ever second day on my way to work I have a problem on the same junction and I don't know what lane to use - whichever one I pick there is beeping. I wnat to know who has right of way.

FYI I'm talking about Cork City Centre coming past the Examiner Office & straightthrough the junction near Jury's Inn then turning left on Penrose Wharf (The quays).

Anyway there are two lanes you can turn left from and there ar eno lane markings going through the junction as it's a yellow hatch/box. I want to go into the middle lane but traffic from both lanes seems to think it has right of way - what is the correct lane to be in. I've done a little diagram.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

diagram

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think this question may have arisen in the Motors forum before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Kazbah, I know the one well, and yes, it does cause confusion.

As you are going over the bridge:

If you are in the right hand lane coming over the bridge, you have the option of the middle lane or the lane furthest to the right after taking the turn.

If you are the on the left hand lane going over the bridge, you must stay in the left hand lane after making the turn.

Proof:

cornerks4.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its a terrible junction.....left lane is for going straight along the quay( towards City Centre), right lane is for straight on OR right turn (heading towards Dublin). There is always a conflict in the right lane....just another stupidly designed junction.....

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    its a terrible junction.....left lane is for going straight along the quay( towards City Centre), right lane is for straight on OR right turn (heading towards Dublin). There is always a conflict in the right lane....just another stupidly designed junction.....

The conflict is cause by people in the left lane going over the bridge, attempting to push their way into the middle lane going along the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Doesn't appear to be anything strange about this junction. Looks very clear, right lane for the middle or right lane or adjoining road, left lane for left lane only. One would imagine how people would get confused? It appears to be lack of correct lane positioning prior to stopping at the lights only, ie bad driving not bad junction layout.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to be anything strange about this junction. Looks very clear, right lane for the middle or right lane or adjoining road, left lane for left lane only. One would imagine how people would get confused? It appears to be lack of correct lane positioning prior to stopping at the lights only, ie bad driving not bad junction layout.

To me from that photo it looks as if the lanes were changed.

Looking at the white line mid corner, it looks as if it is bringing the left lane on bridge to middle lane afterwards. The curve stops abrubtly and then goes straight.

If you ask me this is squarely down to poor road lining.

WOuld I be right in saying that the left hand lane used to go into the middle afterwards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

corktina wrote: »
    its a terrible junction.....left lane is for going straight along the quay( towards City Centre), right lane is for straight on OR right turn (heading towards Dublin).
    Is it actually signposted as such though? I don't know Cork, so can't really comment, but given the state of most signposting in this country it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

To me from that photo it looks as if the lanes were changed.

Looking at the white line mid corner, it looks as if it is bringing the left lane on bridge to middle lane afterwards. The curve stops abrubtly and then goes straight.

If you ask me this is squarely down to poor road lining.

WOuld I be right in saying that the left hand lane used to go into the middle afterwards ?
    Looks like it to me too.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    , ie bad driving not bad junction layout.

LOL well either way there is consternation there every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

remember that well. The problem is often folks in the inside lane who discover they should be in the outside one to access the railway stn. Complete fecking bake - not on the scale of the magic roundabout or anything but very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It's actually the left hand lane which splits into two. It used to be the right hand lane but they relined it (for no apparent reason). I know because I argued otherwise in a previous thread until presented with this picture!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55099819&postcount=40

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Ah I've been caught here as well.

As most traffic going over that bridge is intending to turn right for Railway/Dublin, it would make sense that both lanes be given this option.

My reasoning is there is two lanes on the bridge, 3 lanes on the quay, and 2 on the street heading up to the railway station. Therefore the right lane on the bridge should go to the rightmost lane only, and the left lane be given the option of going to the middle lane and left lane.

But sense doesn't come into this does it.

The big problem here.

There are no white lines going through the box junction.

Is it against the law to put white lines through a box junction or something ?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Colm R wrote: »
    Ah I've been caught here as well.

As most traffic going over that bridge is intending to turn right for Railway/Dublin, it would make sense that both lanes be given this option.

I would doubt that most traffic is going right. Large volumes going straight as well (Limerick, North Side)

The majority of problems are with muppets in the left lane who believe they have a divine dispensation to go across three lanes and turn right.

parsi wrote: »
    I would doubt that most traffic is going right. Large volumes going straight as well (Limerick, North Side)

The majority of problems are with muppets in the left lane who believe they have a divine dispensation to go across three lanes and turn right.

Middle lane after the turn has the option to go straight on or turn right.

parsi wrote: »

Yeah you're probably right. However if the left lane on the bridge was to go to the left lane only on the quay, it would become a very underused lane as it only goes back over the river again where these people came from.

Best thing here for maximising use of lanes and roadspace would be to have the left lane for Limerick/City Center and the right lane for Dublin only.

I think this happens at quite a few junctions though and this was just one example. The same happens turning right from the end of McCurtain St. You can turn right from 2 lanes but they merge into three lanes. No line markings and I'm not sure who has R.O.W. to the middle lane?

Kazbah wrote: »
    I think this happens at quite a few junctions though and this was just one example. The same happens turning right from the end of McCurtain St. You can turn right from 2 lanes but they merge into three lanes. No line markings and I'm not sure who has R.O.W. to the middle lane?

Yeah, don't get me started here. I think the right lane on McCurtain St should go to the middle and right lane after the turn and the middle lane should go straight on or right to the far left lane.

My reasoning here is the same as previous, as if the right lane was to go to the right lane only, then it would become a very underused lane.

The issue here is your are not suppose to have white lanes in yellow boxes. In Oz, and other countries I have noticed that there is no yellow hatchings. There is just a law that says, do not drive into the middle of a junction if your way out is not clear. Applies to every junction, no questions asked.

Consequenly, they are then able to put in narrow white dashed lines which guide drivers through a junction. From above it looks like a mess of lines. But from the prespective of a driver at a junction, you can only really see the white lines that guide you.

• Advertisement

Colm R wrote: »
    In Oz, and other countries I have noticed that there is no yellow hatchings. There is just a law that says, do not drive into the middle of a junction if your way out is not clear. Applies to every junction, no questions asked.

That would make a lot of sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well, the anser to the question who has the right of way is "ME"

signed A White Vandriver:rolleyes:

LOL No me in my taxi!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

That would make a lot of sense!

Well we already have box junctions which are poorly observed (does anyone else remember the Michael Angelo ad ? ) and even more poorly enforced.

The problem is not with the laws but with the enforcement.
    Middle lane after the turn has the option to go straight on or turn right.

Yes, but that doesn't stop the muppet who decides that he _has_ to get to the right lane from his position on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Hi All,

Ever second day on my way to work I have a problem on the same junction and I don't know what lane to use - whichever one I pick there is beeping. I wnat to know who has right of way.

FYI I'm talking about Cork City Centre coming past the Examiner Office & straightthrough the junction near Jury's Inn then turning left on Penrose Wharf (The quays).

Anyway there are two lanes you can turn left from and there ar eno lane markings going through the junction as it's a yellow hatch/box. I want to go into the middle lane but traffic from both lanes seems to think it has right of way - what is the correct lane to be in.

The other one

When there are two lanes and you are allowed go straight on or turn right from both and only turn left from one. So when their is someone waiting with a filter light to turn left they are waiting for someone to go straight on to move. For example coming towards Blackpool to take the slip into the village from the main dual carriageway or at the T Junction coming over the bridge with the Opera House in front of you. Especially by the opera house you should only be allowed go left from the lefthand lane.

Another episode today. Comin straight between the back of the bus station and the old cats and dogs home in cork city. When you come to the T junction facing the City Hall. There are three lanes right only, left and right, left only. I am in the left only lane. So there are three lanes when I turn left. I go to the middle lane. I always look over my blind spots and mirrors cos as this thread shows I'm not exactlys ure of R.o.W. Anyway a Taxi booting up the middle lane tries to cut me off - he's honking on the horn, flashing the lights and giving me the finger. Totally unneccesary I was tempted to report him.

Advertisement