Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming pool close to UCD

Options
  • 08-10-2008 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be in Dublin (at UCD) for a couple of days next week. What would be the best option for getting a swim in? Glenalbyn? Can I just pay-per-use and any idea of the opening hours?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

HM,

Glenalbyn is probably the best bet. Timetable is here http://www.glenalbyn.ie/September_2008timetable.pdf

For the public swims there is a single wide lane cordoned off from the rest of the pool and it can get a bit crowded with people doing lengths.

If you are up and about early enough Tallaght has a really nice pool with lane swimming from 6.30am (http://www.tallaghtleisure.com/pool.html) but in the traffic it could take an hour to get back to UCD that hour of the morning.

Other option is Townsend Street but I don't have a timetable for that pool. No. 10 bus to and from UCD so is simple to get to (http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/SportsFacilities/LeisureCentres/Pages/markievicz_leisure_centre.aspx).

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

As said, Glenalbyn would be the closest to UCD. As far as I know the 7:15am swims are pay as you go so anyone can join in (or they use to be a few years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

just to resurrect this thread....

Does anyone have any information on the swimming pool that was being built in UCD? It was sheduled to be finished around this time. Would local people/non students be able to access?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

It was due to be finished and open by September this year, its looking more likely that it will be January next year though

Thanks for that... oh dear :(

I was regular swimmer at Total Fitness, Sandyford that closed last week so am desparate for some alternative though rechon nothing could match the swimming facilities there. Only hope might be if someone else takes it on ... a slim hope in present climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I don't know how regular you swim or where you are based, but you could try Glenalbyn pool in Stillorgan which I've found pretty good for lane swimming. There is also the meadowbrook leisure centre near Dundrum but I've found the lane swimming chaotic. There is also a new swimming pool in Rathmines.

Thanks for that. Yes know Glen Albyn well as was there years until changed to TF 9 years ago. It seems unchanged since. I resented having to queue up like kids to be let in at stipulated hour... and different timeslot for each day. Then the whistle and everyone out! This meant that for 15 or so minutes every hour the pool would be empty until new lot came through the entry system.

I used to go lunchtime when not so busy. It annoys me that even though 'a member' you still have to come up with odd sum of money to get in... again delays queue fiddling with change. Changing room is small, no privacy and few showers and generally bit grotty. I always found it busy enough in the public slots and with maybe 12 in the lane, it made for heavy traffic and unrelaxed swimming, having to overtake slow ones etc or vice versa!

There was a plan to redevelop the site but seems to have gone on back boiler. This might explain the rundown nature of the place.

I looked at Meadowbrook also but just the one slot for public at lunchtime and bit far over / off centre to travel to. Otherwise all looked lovely.

Rathmines I would imagine is problem with parking?

With TF you could turn up whenever you liked 7 days a week and be there as long as you liked. The pool was never crowded and three lanes to do lengths in with only one or two in each.

Yes I rechon I will go back to Glenalbyn as nearest and used to their ways! Save on petrol anyway... maybe bike it.

Just an update on pool near to UCD. I visited the Blue Pool, Monkstown today and found it reasonable on many fronts.

No problem parking and benefit of new Monkstown ring road now open. Large shared changing area with decent sized cubicles. Decent sauna off this area. Cold shower beside pool as well as several ordinary ones. Ladies have three showers in room off their loo area. Pay as you go at 6 50 and 50 cent for locker and a 10 trip ticket for 55 euro. Decent looking gym with newish equipment in good order included in your entry price. Friendly staff and no problem getting in few minutes before the hour of swim.

Need to bring hair drier and shower gel.

Pool not very big or deep.. is it 20 meter? but only about 6 people in the lunchtime slot and three wide lanes so plenty of space.

Report on another swimming pool option.

This is the ESB pool at Ringsend called Sportsco. There is a club to join but you can avail of a few sessions of swimming with pay as you go at 9 euro or 12 euro if you want to avail of sauna and ?.

Mid morning there was plenty of parking. Changing rooms/showers are all in excellent order as recently renovated. Place is well kept. Pool benefits from ozone treatment of water and not chlorine. There is set of steps to walk into water if usual ladder is a problem. Medium sized pool and not too crowded with at most 16 in the water but not all swimming! One lane only roped off for lap swimming.

There is a gym in another part of the complex but pay separately ... also several classes such as aqua stuff and pilates and open to non members.

Advertisement