Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slim Chance of a new site, maybe

Options
  • 08-10-2008 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

How do all,

I'm currently in talks with a landowner about .... land.

I'm thinking of setting up a new site and was wondering if some kindly site owners/operators, might give me a few pointers on what I need i.e. insurance, permits, licences, planning etc.

I'm not asking anyone to do the work for me, I'm just looking for some friendly advice. I saw mention of talks with Gardi, is that a must or a curtesy?

Thanks lads, hope to see you on site sometime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Point to note, might wanna see how many 'softers are in the area. You would be in direct competition with GTAC and I dont know if there is enough suport for two sites. Also, GTAC is hard to beat to be completely honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ISnipeFreely

Point to note, might wanna see how many 'softers are in the area. You would be in direct competition with GTAC and I dont know if there is enough suport for two sites. Also, GTAC is hard to beat to be completely honest.

I was thinking of answering this point in my orignal post, but didn't want to come over across as though i was the bees knees and the dogs ba... basket.

Loud and clear, sing it with me: I'm not trying to go head to head with anyone, I'm not looking to take business from anyone, my site isn't close to G-TAC. Anyway, if Dublin can have multiples sites right on top of each other, i'm fairly sure the county of Galway would get away with 2, well 1 1/2, mine is only on paper yet:D

But thanks for tip, keep them coming

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mike o

where would the site be?

mike o wrote: »
    where would the site be?

That as yet is too be decided, its something i have been kicking around since i first heard of airsoft, cause like most people, travel can be a bit of an issue for me.

At the moment, i am in talks with regard to a site, but until i know the work involved, there's no point mentioning it. Not being obtuse about this, but i don't yet know much about setting a site up so i said i'd ask for advice to see if its viable

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

The more in the west the better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 xx*Sandra*xx

You will need a few people to marshal games!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

the first and most important thing with anything like this is insurance. its probably the tough bit.
    probably the best people to talk to would be the people who own and run G-Tac. i am sure they would be more than happy to help, as multiple venues can only be good as it will cycle clients who get bored in one place. such things is healthy for business.

talking to local Garda would be a courtesy only. probably a good idea to talk to other local land owners, so they dont get the poo scared out of them when they see a bunch of maniacs with guns creeping around their neighbours property. ....that night actually be very funny to see. :D

also, not trying to pry, but do you have venture capital? it will cost a large initial outlay to get started.
    this is a good site for info;
    http://www.startingabusinessinireland.com/
    hope it helps a bit. good luck with this. :)

also, not trying to pry, but do you have venture capital? it will cost a large initial outlay to get started.

Well it is my birthday soon :) Seriously though, that is part of the reason I started this thread, i have x ammount, and if i need more i can pawn my kidneys, but i'm trying to find out what sort of cost will be involved.

I know insurance will be steep, but i don't know if i can just set up a Ltd company, and rent a field, or do i need to get planning permission etc.

Thanks all for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

I know insurance will be steep, but i don't know if i can just set up a Ltd company, and rent a field, or do i need to get planning permission etc.

Thanks all for the help

as far as i know you will only need planning permission if you put up permanant structures i.e. brick and mortar WITH a roof ( i think that without a roof its not considered a structure)

AFAIK you will definitely need PP as its a change of use. You have to apply to do that.

• Advertisement

are you sure ?

its still a feild

ring the planning authority nearest you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

yeah you need planning permition, as it gives the locals a chance to voice if they disagree, we are democratic so they are entightled to:rolleyes:

as far as i know you will only need planning permission if you put up permanant structures i.e. brick and mortar WITH a roof ( i think that without a roof its not considered a structure)

Thanks for the reply Busta, not worried about planning re structures, but about possible change of use, or it needing to be classed as a business premises.

Thanks to everyone for the hints, tips and advice, and if anyone has anything concrete, or could point me in the right direction i would be eminently grateful.

Hell, if someone gives me loads of help, i might even "name" a corner of the site after them :) you can't ask for a better reward:D

firebase busta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

it might be worth visiting a few sites to see their setup. i cant see how you can not have some structure. where are you going to store rentals, offer charging facilities, sell bb's etc etc. i am not sure you would be able to do it with just a field but thats just my opinion. also a toilet might be an idea, if you had 10 or 15 people per week taking a dump, it would not take long before you site was a truly crap site. i would be suprised (and hopefully i am wrong) that the sites could just survive on selling the game area. i think you need to supply all the other stuff as well, but again i dont run one so i am guessing there.

so i would say visit and see the setups. gtac has a great site and is close to you. but i think you should visit them all before you plonk down the cash, its a small cost but a necessary one. like it or not, we are spoiled for choice at the moment as airsofters for a relatively small community. a 2 hour drive in any direction for me has hrta, fingal and gtac and a few others i cant remember. if i might make a small recommendation, an easier way might be to get forest rather then a field. a field will require you to put in cover for people to hide, where as a forest will supply a lot of that, not all of it mind, but a lot of it.

the existing sites have been through the ringer with growing their businesses and i sometimes feel people completely underestimate the amount of work required (i am not saying you are by the way). it is one of those businesses that people from the outside think, jaysus all i need is a field, but its only when you start you see the costs rampup quite a lot. again thats just my opinion.

good luck with it, i truly hope it works out for you.

Hi Fall,

Thanks for the reply, first off, when i said i'm not worried about planning for structures, i meant that i know more than enough about that side of planning. There will of course be toilets. I just want to know about the actual site, i.e. if the land is zoned agri can it be used?

I'm not hoping to set up just a field, like i original said, i'm looking at land. I know I'm not giving away lots of information, but thats because this idea is in its infancy at the moment.
    a 2 hour drive in any direction
    Not everyone has that flexibility in travel. Its all about catering to the many, and trying to grow the sport
    it is one of those businesses that people from the outside think, jaysus all i need is a field, but its only when you start you see the costs rampup quite a lot
    As mentioned, the whole reason for starting this post was to get some idea of costs, who knows, i might get the fright of my life, and run screaming, or i might be opening the 5 bar gate in 6 months :D

For all you budding builders out there, i have it on the highest authority (that I know) that, that is a myth, you need planning for pretty much everything on a site, down to signs. Some things you can get away with, or get exemption from, but not sticking a roof on doesn't cut it!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

I'm thinking of setting up a new site and was wondering if some kindly site owners/operators, might give me a few pointers on what I need i.e. insurance, permits, licences, planning etc.

- Public liability insurance is deffo needed. You can also get member-to-member insurance but not sure if it's really needed; a waiver might do there instead.
    - Inform the Gardaí, write an actual letter to the local Super with details on the site and what you will be doing.
    - Consider boundary tape and safety signs if it's within public view or an area where members of the public (walkers etc) are likely to come across.
    - Have a first aid kit and consider having someone trained in first aid
    - Have lads "trained" as marshals, not sure what ratio would be needed 10:1 maybe??
    - Consider getting a chrono.
    - I know eff all about planning permission but my assumption would be if it's a commercial site you may need some sort of planning permission. If it's not a commercial site and you aren't building permanent structures then I can't imagine you need any but that is a guess. Talk to the local planning authority.

Woodlands would be lovely... Dense forest like a load of the UK sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭NinjaLmk

Hey there just a few points

1. I believe there is not enough room for 2 sites as their has been sundays that G-Tac have had to close because there was not enough people at the site for games, One sunday in particular I was there & only 3 players and I was one of them.

2.There is only scope to open one day a week and that G-Tac have tried to open on saturday but there is not enough business there for it.

3.As far as I can see they are not even breaking even at the momment.

4.Also insurance is very expensive & if you open a site in my opinion ye will both be gone within a few months as the scope is just not there for two sites in the Galway area at the moment. And the a lot of people would loose out big time if that happened, so please do not ruin it for me and others, I may have to drive over an hour to get there but WE in my area dont mind, but would mind if its gone.:)

And before anyone rants:NO I have no connection to the Max's or the Site, I just Play There.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

it would serve you best to try pm'ing some of the site owners as they have done all of this and it would be much easyer to discuss this directly with some issues that the site owner might not want to say in a public forum

NinjaLmk wrote: »
    Hey there just a few points

1. I believe there is not enough room for 2 sites as their has been sundays that G-Tac have had to close because there was not enough people at the site for games, One sunday in particular I was there & only 3 players and I was one of them. Room or business? cause the last time i looked galway was plenty big.:) And as stated before, i haven't even decided what sort of games will be played, people are not going to rush to my site if i'm playing duelling at 11feet now are they?

2.There is only scope to open one day a week and that G-Tac have tried to open on saturday but there is not enough business there for it.

3.As far as I can see they are not even breaking even at the momment. you say your not linked with them? well its only polite not to make comments like this, they may or may not be breaking even, but its not for you to post about is it?

4.Also insurance is very expensive & if you open a site in my opinion ye will both be gone within a few months as the scope is just not there for two sites in the Galway area at the moment. And the a lot of people would loose out big time if that happened, so please do not ruin it for me and others, I may have to drive over an hour to get there but WE in my area dont mind, but would mind if its gone.:) this location works for a lot of people, but not everyone, especially in this country, where public transport isn't even funny enough to be called a joke

And before anyone rants:NO I have no connection to the Max's or the Site, I just Play There.

but hey, thanks for you 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MaxForce

Right. Lets get somthing straight.

Ninja Lmk has no connection what so ever to G-TAC apart from the fact that he plays here.

Secondly, I know what he says sounds dramatic but unfortunatly it is true. All of it. We have had to close Sundays when players have not showen up and there are weeks when we have had to pay our rent and our insurance out of our own pockets.

If there is anything else you need to know, PM me.

Martin,
    G-TAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭MAD Ozzie

Yes, that happens, and so does S..T, all the time,

BUT just 1 event (a year) can help with the bills (big time) And there is also a diference between those who do it for money and those who do it for the sport.
    (Its like we cant have 2 shops in the one town!!)

And the first year or 2 are always the worst if you are in it for cash.

I for one would love to see another site in Cork or Kerry, cant take cash from me as we are a club ( for airsoft by airsofters ) I have nothing to loose.

And it helps the sport grow, and get the support it needs, so it just may bring more players to Galway in the long run.!! Think long term!! JUST LOOK AT THE UK!! they have been doing airsoft for 10years, and here? what 2 years if that. More than half of Ireland dosent know what airsoft is! and when they do, we will all be laughing.!!
    So the more the better. ;)

This is not a dig at Gtac or martin, but its called FAIR TRADE, and a bit of competition is good for business.

My 2c

(like or lump it)..

Advertisement