Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Primary Advice

Options
  • 08-10-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was wondering if I could have some advice on a couple of things.
    I am applying for the HDip in Education for the next academic year (2009/2010) and was wondering about job prospects. I have a business related degree (2.1) which from reading other threads seems to have poor prospects.

Incidentally I am eligible to teach Business, Accounting and Economics.
    I also have nearly 4 years working in a financial accounting environment and have several professional accountancy exams (which I will complete in time!)I have a few questions:
    1. Will I realistically get into a HDip course in UCD or Trinity? I see the points required but am unsure how to calculate these.
    2. How long am I likely to be waiting for a permanent job were I to complete the HDip
    Any advice is most welcome.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

I won't comment on job prospects. And I won't comment on Trinity either as they take factors other than marks into consideration, though I would be surprised if marks were not a hugely significant factor is screening applicants in the first place. But even if it is a 2.1 is a decent grade. At least the Trinity system appears to guard against people who might have the time, money and inclination to pursue post-grdauat qualifications whcih might not necessarily add anything to their teaching capacity or potential.

The ability to get into UCD (or any of the NUI colleges) will depend only on your marks or points which can be accumulated from your primary degree, post-graduate degree (if applicable) and teaching experience.

I am not sure (it does not explicitly state this) if a professional accountancy qualification would be considered for extra points - you could ring the PAC in Galway (091-509819) who would tell you this. But even if it is acceptable, it would need to be completed by Dec 1st when the application is due in. It would not be enough for it to be completed before the course starts.

The extreme complicating factor for you is that Business related degrees are subject to a quota system for the PGDE, making up, as far as I know, just 10% of overall accepted applications. Naturally this drives the points required sky-high. For example, in UCD last year 46 points were required, which is the equivalent of a first class degree of about 78%, or a low first 72%ish + a Masters. Scary stuff.

Advertisement