Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For anyone in Sydney right now

Options
  • 08-10-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I will be arriving around mid NoVember and will be looking for accom in Coogee for approx 6 months.

Can any sydney-siders recommend good websites/papers to search for accom??

I used domain.com.au 4 years ago but its mainly estate agents on there who dont touch backpackers with a barge pole!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

gumtree.com.au is the backpacker's choice it seems or else do a search for furnished accomadation.

You may also want to look at flatmatefinders.com.au I found that pretty good when searching for people to live with.

But Honestly the best chance you'll get is look around coogee notice boards etc

as believe me 1000's of backpackers arrive looking for beach accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Trying to find a room in Coogee during summer, good luck!

Noticeboards in the hostels and supermarkets, as well as the share section of domain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

You may have to settle for "around" Coogee. So places like Randwick, Clovelly.

But as everyone else said noticeboards are the way to go, and getting pissed in the CBH and getting to know people already in the area.

Apart from that try the backpacker magazines like British Balls that are available in any hostel, and most Internet Cafes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

:rolleyes: how typical coogee, your better off staying in Ireland love , travelling half way around the worls to live with other irish people and backpackers how sad, aus is huge and you go to coogee:D:D
    As regars estate agents yes they do touch backpackers but not in the cities , i had no problem getting a place from a estate agent when i was living in bendigo vic. Problem is the likes of you who the estate agents wont rent to, who just go to aus and party all the time and just hang out with other backpackers.

:rolleyes: how typical coogee, your better off staying in Ireland love , travelling half way around the worls to live with other irish people and backpackers how sad, aus is huge and you go to coogee:D:D
    As regars estate agents yes they do touch backpackers but not in the cities , i had no problem getting a place from a estate agent when i was living in bendigo vic. Problem is the likes of you who the estate agents wont rent to, who just go to aus and party all the time and just hang out with other backpackers.

:rolleyes: how typical a traveler looking down on another traveler because they think what they are doing is just soooo much better.

Firstly, plenty of Australians around Coogee, as well others from all around the world.

Secondly, maybe people don't go to Australia to meet Australians. Maybe they go to enjoy the Australian lifestyle, and just meet new people regardless of nationality.

Thirdly, the OP was already in Australia 4 years ago maybe they have seen everything they wanted to see and they really liked Coogee.

Fourthly, maybe the OP is planning on traveling around Australia but they might need to work first, and they have decided to try work in Sydney. With Coogee being a nice suburb of Sydney being close to beach and the city within easy reach, it would make sense to stay there.

Lastly, if you don't have helpful advice why bother posting. Is it just so you can try and make yourself sound like some mad adventure by staying in the remote town of Bendigo a whole 2 hours away from Melbourne. Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that your stay in Bendigo was better than staying in Coogee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jaybee

Get over yourself will u !

The 'likes of me'? Do you personally know me? Im 26 course im gonna party but im gonna work bloody hard as well. Problem?!
    Im on my 2nd visa, and YES I have lived in Coogee before, and YES I like it. Hence why I want to return. Good bars, Good restauraunts, Beside the city and near th beach. What more could I ask for.

Pfft :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: how typical a traveler looking down on another traveler because they think what they are doing is just soooo much better.

Firstly, plenty of Australians around Coogee, as well others from all around the world.

Secondly, maybe people don't go to Australia to meet Australians. Maybe they go to enjoy the Australian lifestyle, and just meet new people regardless of nationality.

Thirdly, the OP was already in Australia 4 years ago maybe they have seen everything they wanted to see and they really liked Coogee.

Fourthly, maybe the OP is planning on traveling around Australia but they might need to work first, and they have decided to try work in Sydney. With Coogee being a nice suburb of Sydney being close to beach and the city within easy reach, it would make sense to stay there.

Lastly, if you don't have helpful advice why bother posting. Is it just so you can try and make yourself sound like some mad adventure by staying in the remote town of Bendigo a whole 2 hours away from Melbourne. Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that your stay in Bendigo was better than staying in Coogee.

+1

Seems some folk are bitter in Bendigo :D

dont forget to go to the irish pub every night and eat taytos from home, nake sure you wear your county gaa jersey, make sure you hang around with all irish people. SAD

Nah Prefer classy bars round darling harbour, or Home, Sounds on Sunday etc

Dont support GAA, like Man U though. Wouldnt be partial to wearing a jersey unfortunately, although I wore a retro 1985 one for the European Cup Final in May. Hmmm might bring it over :D

HATE Tayto, but would definitely much my way into a packet of King if I came across them over there :D

Well I wouldnt like to ditch my friends that I am going over to, open to making friends with any nationality though here or abroad. Pretty open minded thanks!

Thanks for all your tips, Keep taking your bitter pills ya sad case :D

dont forget to go to the irish pub every night and eat taytos from home, nake sure you wear your county gaa jersey, make sure you hang around with all irish people. SAD

Please name me one Irish pub in Coogee.

• Advertisement

Please name me one Irish pub in Coogee.

As we know there is none...

Leave him and his presumptious attitude! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

I lived in Coogee a few years back for three months. I was delighted when I got there but couldn't wait to leave by the end.

The beach is great but the variety wasn't really there for me. I moved into the city after that as the location was a better base to go here and there around the city and suburbs.

The CBH is real backpacker joint. Though it must be said there are plenty of Aussies around too. It's a bit tacky but I rarely had a bad night there. Great place to pull too :)

Also there are a plenty of Aussies living the backpacker life in Sydney.

Also if you get a place try not to sign up for a three months lease like I did :o. We were tied to that and the property manager (or whatever they're called) was an asshole. So just be careful with that.

@TheDude2008: Did you ever look outside the backpacker scene? Sydney has a 5mil population and you couldn't find anybody but Irish folk. Please consider that the problem might you and not the thousands of other Irish people working/holidaying there.

G'luck JenBen, I'll be moving there in November myself.

j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Please tone the attitude down and read the forum charter. Unhelpful posting is against the rules and against the spirit of the forum. Do it again and it will result in an infraction or a ban.

attitude what attuidude , on a power trip on ya watna:rolleyes:

What a charming personality.

attitude what attuidude , on a power trip on ya watna:rolleyes:

That sentence doesn't even make sense.

I'm referring to the attitude where you came in to this thread where somebody was asking for advice and proceeded to rudely tarnish all Irish travellers with the same brush, dragged the thread off topic and annoyed users who are actually contributing positively to the thread.

You then dragged this thread further off topic by arguing with me for simply issuing a polite warning.

If you do this again it will result in a ban. I've already warned you in my above post. I won't be warning again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Listen,

You making a serious amount of assumptions from a simple post. You don't even know she's Irish. She could be Aussie.

We all know you're pretty angry about irish backpackers, for some reason. But there's no need to go hi-jacking threads with your agenda. You already started a thread on it. Please leave to that one.

Also you started another thread on Tassie, asking for help and advice. Plenty of people relpied (myself included). We didn't give you attitude and start telling what we really think of your sad reasons for going to Tassie. Then you come in here, jump to a whole bunch of conclusions, start giving someone crap when you know nothing about them, and help them in no way what-so-ever.

In your Tassie thread I said that I'd tell you how I get on in Tassie this month. You can now shove it where the sun don't shine if you think I'll be bothering to type out a post to help you out, after the attitude you're showing.

Ok, can we now get this thread back on topic please and just get on with the question at hand. I've already asked TheDude2008 to be helpful in posting or not at all. Lets leave it at that.

ok im so sorry watna plaease accept my appology?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maybe she'll accept your sarcasm :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ok im so sorry watna plaease accept my appology?

I can see why you don't meet Irish people, most of them would probably hit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Can I suggest Cronulla? Great beach, great nightlife. Not too far from Coogee.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Can I suggest Cronulla? Great beach, great nightlife. Not too far from Coogee.

By the looks of things i might have to, ive friends over there at the mo and they are finding it impossible to find accom.

I'll check out Cronulla, Maroubra and Randwick probably. Not touching Bondi, just didnt like the feel of the place last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

There is an accomodation problem in Sydney at the moment. Landlords are able to be very fussy.

Funny that, I've been a week and a half trying to rent out a room in Rozelle.
    Normally have no problems.

Op, no interest in giving the northern beaches a go? Manly is a really cool spot, Freshwater is pretty nice as well

pucan wrote: »
    Op, no interest in giving the northern beaches a go? Manly is a really cool spot, Freshwater is pretty nice as well

Not if I want to live far away from my friends. Im heading over on my own, everyone is already over there so makes sense to get a place near enough to them in the eastern suburbs

jenben1982 wrote: »
    Not if I want to live far away from my friends. Im heading over on my own, everyone is already over there so makes sense to get a place near enough to them in the eastern suburbs

Randwick is a great spot, much easier access to city, buses to bondi junction and about 10 minute walk to coogee beach, great restaurants and has a cinema & shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I know of a place in Marrickville if ur interested. not near the beach tho....and its a sh*thole.....:p

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I know of a place in Marrickville if ur interested. not near the beach tho....and its a sh*thole.....:p

I'll pass thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

jenben1982 wrote: »
    I'll pass thanks ;)

Haha suit yourself. Its a mad party street full of irish. Absolute mayhem. But if ya find anywhere nearer the beach, let me know. Dyin to get out of this place.

Advertisement