Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work, work wonderful work!

• 08-10-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Well Peeps!
    Am a forum virgin so go easy on me please! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice with regard to lovely job hunting? I got a 2:1 degree in Archaeology & Classical Civilisation a couple of years ago but due to family circumstances have only had about four weeks experience in the field and have spent the rest of the time acting as a carer in the home. I am now actively seeking work but unfortunately am only able to do part time for the forseeable future. I know I'll have to take what I get but would love to get back into Archaeology in some shape or form so if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Job scene in archaeology is very quiet at the moment- connected to the construction industry etc etc.- so you would be very lucky getting a job with a company at the moment.

Do you want a paying job or a volunteering one? You could get in touch with your local tourist office/ heritage office/ heritage officer to see if there are any part time voluntary jobs in your area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Sounds like you may be limited in how far you can travel to sites too but what I did (ok it was about 7 years ago) was I rang around a couple of archaeology firms. I got a few weeks work in a voluntary capacity pretty quickly but it turned out someone was leaving from the site and I got their job and a pay check straight away. As regards part time work on a site, I may be a bit out of touch but you have to get your foot in the door somehow so maybe volunteering for a few days each week might get you started....if you were willing. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

My advice would be to email all the archaeological companies and then ring them. Ask them did they recieve your c.v and stress your interest in working in archaeology. If work comes up in the near future they will remember you and might just give you a bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

Sadly, with many archaeologists, including Site Directors (like me) having been made redundant this year (like me), there is very little opportunity to break into archaeology until such a time as things pick up again.

As a general rule though, yes, send your CV to as many archaeology companies as you can find - Golden Pages is a good start. Volunteering is not really encouraged in Ireland any more, since the legislation changed requiring everyone to have a Safe Pass. It would increase your chances of getting work if you had undertaken one of these courses already - contact FAS for you local trainers.

Getting experience on a dig abroad would also be very beneficial, and highly rewarding, just not financially. There's more Sun abroad. I'd be off like a shot if I could!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

I've found with some companies you are better off ringing them as well as emailing them. A lot of the jobs that I found I had to ring several times!! Often the companies arent the best organised. Its a tough time to break into archaeology, I've been assured that work will pick up again but I'm not convinced, I know there were projects to go ahead this year but from what I've heard they have now been delayed or suspended with this recession craic. Best of luck anyway, I would say to you that you should look at other options also, I'm gone back to college again, I found it difficult, even in the boom, to try and build a career from archaeology. Working a contract is worth it though, you meet some great people, theres craic to be had, and every now and then you might stumble across an interesting site!!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement