Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect time to come to Aus

Options
  • 08-10-2008 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

The Australian dollar is now worth .504 Euro
    or nearly double!

About a 20% gain is the last month!

Great for backpackers, as beer is even cheaper now ... **** for us living here and my savings have plummeted ...

To recap ... a pint in my local is now 2.75euro!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Feckin crap news for me goin home in Feb :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I was gonna buy an apartment in dublin and rent it out to my bro ... now 20% of my savings (converted to euro) in the last month has gone ....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭-jellybelly-

I'm going to Sydney for a few months in Feb on a whv. Would it make sense for me to open an account in Oz now and transfer some money over from my AIB account? I see NAB is the biggest bank over there but is there any difference which bank I go with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I'm going to Sydney for a few months in Feb on a whv. Would it make sense for me to open an account in Oz now and transfer some money over from my AIB account? I see NAB is the biggest bank over there but is there any difference which bank I go with?

not really IMO the currency exchange might change. It flucuated a lot while we were in OZ. You'll have to pay an international bank fee to transfer money so you'd want to transfer a lot to make it worth you while. Also to set up a bank account from Ireland you may have to go through an agency... more hassle!. Setting up a bank account in oz is easy enough if you set it up within your first 6 weeks of arriving all you need is a passport and your visa.

The biggest banks are NAB, ANZ and CBA. If you're there for a short time it doesnt matter which you pick. The fees for using another bank's atm are quite hefty so make sure you go with one of those three big banks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭-jellybelly-

descry wrote: »
    not really IMO the currency exchange might change. It flucuated a lot while we were in OZ. You'll have to pay an international bank fee to transfer money so you'd want to transfer a lot to make it worth you while. Also to set up a bank account from Ireland you may have to go through an agency... more hassle!. Setting up a bank account in oz is easy enough if you set it up within your first 6 weeks of arriving all you need is a passport and your visa.

The biggest banks are NAB, ANZ and CBA. If you're there for a short time it doesnt matter which you pick. The fees for using another bank's atm are quite hefty so make sure you go with one of those three big banks

thanks descry. the fee for international money transfer with AIB is 15euro. I can open an account online and deposit money with ANZ through their website. I just cant withdraw money until I arrive and show my passport. Does this mean that last month 1000euro was worth 1666AUD and is worth 2000AUD this month?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

:D:D:D 1 euro was worth aus 2.09 a hour ago this is fliipin brillant it was only 1.60 a month ago, i think its going to go to at least 1.20 by next week then im gonna transfer my savings over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

hussey wrote: »
    or nearly double!

Great for backpackers, as beer is even cheaper now ... **** for us living here and my savings have plummeted ...

Still gaining....woth .49 euro this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

1.00 AUD = 0.490480 EUR

man-crying.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Was just thinking there. I can transfer over my (admittedly small amount of) savings to my Aussie account, wait until things go back to normal, then transfer them back! Foolproof way to make a few hundred Euros!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Feckin crap news for me goin home in Feb :mad:

Im going home in f**kin december!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Here how long should this last????

• Advertisement

pucan wrote: »
    1.00 AUD = 0.490480 EUR

man-crying.jpg
    1.00 AUD

=

0.489696 EUR

Supposed to be going home for Christmas.... No presents for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Now is the perfect time to ask my parents for money... Heh heh heh....

the dee wrote: »
    Now is the perfect time to ask my parents for money... Heh heh heh....
    Here, will you get me some to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

hussey wrote: »
    or nearly double!

Ahh man I'm fukking loving this financial crises business, my money transfer just came through there this morning, E2500 to $4988.86, good timing aswell, I was in serious danger of getting a job at any minute, close one. :D

Crap joke of the week: Whats the definition of optimism? A financier that irons five shirts on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What's the difference between a wall street broker and a pigeon? A pigeon can still lay a deposit on a BMW.

The exchange rates have fluctuated vastly in the last two years. I came from the UK - Christmas 2006, £1 got you $2.50. When I moved savings over to put the first downpayment off my house about six months ago, £1 got you $2.00. When I was making the third downpayment on my house, £1 got me $2.10, and then my sterling savings ran out so I'm doing the rest of it in Aussie dollars. Not a bad thing, considering.

1.00 AUD

=

0.489696 EUR
    1.00 AUD

=

0.502436 EUR

More i say!

1.00 AUD

=

0.502436 EUR

More i say!
    1.00 AUD

=

0.495866 EUR

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

1.00 AUD

=

0.495866 EUR

:mad:

Has dropped to .48046 but this is still great for those going out to OZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

This thread has brightened up my day no end.

I'm going in about three weeks. SWEET!
    :):):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Woohoo gonna be there in a couple of weeks to spend some nice rich euro's!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Heading out there in 6 weeks tooo yeeeeeha to the global downturn :)

But a question do we need to have funds in my OZ bank account when we arrive with a 1 year working visa? Got a Traveltowork document from visafirst saying I need to have €3350 in funds lodged in my OZ account is this true? and they can handle all that for me....
    Can I set up an acc in OZ before i get there?

preddy wrote: »
    Heading out there in 6 weeks tooo yeeeeeha to the global downturn :)

But a question do we need to have funds in my OZ bank account when we arrive with a 1 year working visa? Got a Traveltowork document from visafirst saying I need to have €3350 in funds lodged in my OZ account is this true? and they can handle all that for me....
    Can I set up an acc in OZ before i get there?
    No, you don't need the money in your account.
    You may need to prove you have the cash, but they rarely ever ask this (unless they suspect you of something)

Visafirst are a shower of ******, I am sure they can handle the transfer, and then charge you a nice price too ;)

If you wanted to be on the safe side you can open from there, and then transfer it from visafirst or your bank (i'd be sure the bank is cheaper)

silverski wrote: »
    Has dropped to .48046 but this is still great for those going out to OZ.
    I dont care about those people coming here!
    I am here and going home for a holiday soon!:mad::mad::mad:

Hopefully Kevin Rudd PM's announcement yesterday will give the dollar a boost.

1.00 AUD

=

0.513185 EUR

:rolleyes:

Come on.....

pucan wrote: »
    Come on.....

What do you reckon?

Will we be lording it up or eating bags of chips for dinner with the rest of em recession heads at chrimbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Life time supply of pot noodle for me.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Life time supply of pot noodle for me.

rich boy ... 25c coles noodles FTW ;)

Advertisement