Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college univarsity sports association of Ireland

Options
  • 08-10-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Originally posted by Private Ryan in the Vetting thread.
    In non vetting matters but still ISAA related have recently contacted CUSAI (college univarsity sports association of Ireland). They are more than willing to help us and they can provide certain best practices policies inc years grace but they do recommend that college clubs are members of the national governing body.
    In case I start getting hounded for being proactive the reason I contacted them is that UCD have asked that I confirm the Intervarsity status of the competition I've booked in the hall. CUSAI are the body who confirm the Intervarsity status of cmpetitions.
    Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doogle deegan

I believe that it is essential for us to be fully recognised by this body if we ever want to progress to world student championships. This is the body which deals with application and arrangments for such events.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

What would the story with them be? Does it require official affiliation to them or are they there in an advisory capacity? If you need to be with them to go to non-Irish events, and as long as you remain in control of your own policies it should be grand. But, I'm not a student anymore so thats just a tupence thought rather than an opinion ........... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

Some competitions require you to book through FITA's online booking and only the national bodies of a country can do that. I don't know how the student championships is done but if it does it that way then you have to be a member.

Things like the World Champs are done through FITA so the IAAA has to book the people in but things like the face to face in holland you can book yourself in for

Out of idle curiosity, who runs the CUSAI? Is it a committee of USI or is it a collection of delegates from each college. Doesn't really matter eitherway, just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Private Ryan

http://www.cusai.ie
    I think it is run by reps of each of the colleges. (UCD director of sport has some sort of committee position in it. Glad people are not chomping at the bit with regard to this. Does any other college have to provide proof of the Intervarsity status of their competitions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The rifle clubs in TCD and UCD had to talk to CUSAI a while back about Intervarsity status, mainly because there are only two college clubs for target shooting in Ireland (and most intervarsities require a minimum of three college clubs for recognition). They seemed amenable enough, but I don't recall them requiring that we be associated with the NGB, just that the NGB back teams sent to the World Student Games (and in fact, "back" was the appropriate word - CUSAI wanted to be the ones in charge of whether or not a team went, IIRC, rather than the NGB).

CUSAI is meant to be an independant body, by the way - but you find the same people running it and on the college sports boards just because that sort of thing is a rather insular area.

Sparks wrote: »
    CUSAI wanted to be the ones in charge of whether or not a team went

Eep :(

If thats the case then I'd swing my thoughts around a No vote. You should stay in charge of yer own affairs in who goes where and when (with the NGBs blessing).

NUIG never made us talk to CUSAI, but maybe some of the bigger clubs here might. The difference might be that archery has a league IV - each college hosts a "round" of the IV. Whereas the majority of IVs in other sports are once-off winner-takes-all events.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It was just for that one games though, and I'm pretty sure the whole setup was still in flux. Best to check with them before voting. And the point about the IVs is a good one - I think archery might be unique in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Private Ryan

farohar wrote: »
    Well on the plus side the IAAA is probably already too late to bring this in this year since some of the colleges have already had their clubs/socs day and as such they've already accepted memberships. Really don't see the college SUs allowing folks to be kicked out without having done anything against the universitys' code of conduct.

Still think they're going about things the wrong way though....
    Are you sure this comment is in the correct thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ppringle

for info CUSAI is (at the moment) run by Celia J Hogan [celia@cusai.ie].
    Some university have a member on the board
    CUSAI usually ask for a registration fee (I think 50 euro) and then organise league and tournaments.
    I dont really see the point in joining CUSAI as we already run the league by ourselves. plus it would probably keep us appart from IAAA.

Personnaly I would prefer ISAA (or whatever name we've decided on) to get closer to IAAA.

• Advertisement

Just an FYI ..........

At the opening of our new sports hall a rep from CUSAI approached me to ask what the story with archery is and why we don't contact them and what-not. He asked for the dates of IVs - I gave him the dates as they are public knowledge anyway.

He wanted other info and contacts but since I'm not a student anymore I politely put my fingers in my ears and shouted "a la la la la la la".

The address he gave me to contact him is info@cusai.ie - if ye want to.

Advertisement