Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cafe in the Draiocht

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to the new cafe in the Draiocht? Think it is called Betelnut or something.

Checked it out for brekkie this morning. Very nice! They do a nice latte....

Might be a nice place at Christmas time to get away from the madness in the centre. It is very quiet at the moment but it will probably get busier - or maybe not - don't understand why they didn't put it to the front of the building so that there would be passerby foot fall......

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Havent tried it yet, but might do tomorrow during the break in my night class. doesnt that make 3 coffee shops in a row on that strip of buildings?
    Draiocht, Starbucks and one other (italian I think). There's abviously great money to be made in selling coffee to the masses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

i dont see the attraction myself..i hate coffee..Des do you see any decent wildlife down by your way near ashtown or the canal???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'll reply in your other thread Kaldorn to keep this one on topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

deswalsh wrote: »
    Havent tried it yet, but might do tomorrow during the break in my night class. doesnt that make 3 coffee shops in a row on that strip of buildings?
    Draiocht, Starbucks and one other (italian I think). There's abviously great money to be made in selling coffee to the masses

Isn't the Italian place not a restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

deswalsh wrote: »

Was it open late?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I didn't realise that was open now I must check it out myself too. It'll be nice to have a little getaway place that isn't mobbed :)

Enii wrote: »
    Was it open late?

Class finished at 8:30 and it looked open then.

miamee wrote: »
    I didn't realise that was open now I must check it out myself too. It'll be nice to have a little getaway place that isn't mobbed :)

It was mobbed on Saturday morning with all the mammies waiting for their little darlings to finish stage school!

Beware the Mummy mobs!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It was mobbed on Saturday morning with all the mammies waiting for their little darlings to finish stage school!

Eeek must remember that for future reference, thanks!

• Advertisement

Well I have to say that I still really like this place - am addicted to their Toasted chicken sambo with stuffing & cranberry sauce - it's delish!!!

They also have homemade soups which are very good.

Had a cupcake (chocolate flavour) there the other day and I think it was one of the nicest cupcakes I have ever had!!!! Waay better then the awful cupcakes they sell in Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nadia55

I've been there too & the hot chocolate with marshmallows & flake is gorgeous!
    They're open till 5pm normally and later on show nights according to their website

http://www.draiocht.ie/draiocht/betelnutcafe.htm

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Never eaten there, I hear the food is good, but I did visit the cafe once with my girlfriend. Its location makes it look like it has all the charm and atmosphere of an airport departures lounge and for that reason we decided not to stay. If they could somehow give it a bit of a cosier feel I might be inclined to go there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chassabelle

Anyone been to the new cafe in the Draiocht? Think it is called Betelnut or something.

Checked it out for brekkie this morning. Very nice! They do a nice latte....

Might be a nice place at Christmas time to get away from the madness in the centre. It is very quiet at the moment but it will probably get busier - or maybe not - don't understand why they didn't put it to the front of the building so that there would be passerby foot fall......

I go here at least once a week for lunch its really good the soups are fantastic its a bit pricey but its worth it as the food is so fresh, beats anything you can get across the road

I go here at least once a week for lunch its really good the soups are fantastic its a bit pricey but its worth it as the food is so fresh, beats anything you can get across the road

Yes, the soups are really good. It is all freshly made on the premises and they have such unsual varieties. Yesterday they had carrot & coconut as well as red pepper & corgette. The soup portions are massive - it's a meal in its self.....

Have you tasted the cupcakes? The vanilla ones are gorgeous!!!

Zaph wrote: »
    Never eaten there, I hear the food is good, but I did visit the cafe once with my girlfriend. Its location makes it look like it has all the charm and atmosphere of an airport departures lounge and for that reason we decided not to stay. If they could somehow give it a bit of a cosier feel I might be inclined to go there again.

Yes, a few couches wouldn't go astray......
    Even still it is def. worth a try - the food is so tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It is quite pricey though the food is good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It is slightly pricey but so worth it I think.

The cupcakes!!!!! omg! THE CUPCAKES!!!!!! Too die for!!!!

The chocolate one is melt in your mouth divine. And the lemon is a wonderful flavour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ooh ooh try the "red velvet" cupcakes.

It is the softest fluffiest sponge I have ever tasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chassabelle

Yes, the soups are really good. It is all freshly made on the premises and they have such unsual varieties. Yesterday they had carrot & coconut as well as red pepper & corgette. The soup portions are massive - it's a meal in its self.....

Have you tasted the cupcakes? The vanilla ones are gorgeous!!!

Yes not the vanilla I have had the chocolate one many times, the homemade mixed berry scones are delicious too.

I had an amazing vegegtarian club sambo today(not veggie but was with a friend who had it before) it was hugh and delicious.

Love the fact they have a kids play area.

• Advertisement

Yes not the vanilla I have had the chocolate one many times, the homemade mixed berry scones are delicious too.

I had an amazing vegegtarian club sambo today(not veggie but was with a friend who had it before) it was hugh and delicious.

Love the fact they have a kids play area.

I've had a chocolate cupcake - very nice as well!!! Perfect size with a cup of coffee....

The play area is great - think it is a great place for mums away from the hustle of the centre.........

Anyone know if Betelnut is open on Saturday and/or Sunday???

I am craving a chocolate cupcake.

I just had a chocolate cupcake in Betelnut!

Mmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Am I alone in this addiction?????! I think I need a support group (where we eat cupcakes :D)

amdublin wrote: »
    I just had a chocolate cupcake in Betelnut!

Mmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Am I alone in this addiction?????! I think I need a support group (where we eat cupcakes :D)

Well these cupcakes are waay better then the Starbucks ones which taste very artificial and full of preservatives........

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've been twice for post-hangover brunch with my boyfriend and I thought it was really nice. The bagels are lovely but they could do with throwing a bit more bacon on them. The boyfriend had french toast. Think he liked it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

janeybabe wrote: »
    I've been twice for post-hangover brunch with my boyfriend and I thought it was really nice. The bagels are lovely but they could do with throwing a bit more bacon on them. The boyfriend had french toast. Think he liked it.

I did, it was very good actually. It still feels like you're eating in an airport though.

janeybabe wrote: »

Is there anything that cant be improved with more bacon?

Gaspode wrote: »

Try the "5th Avenue" in Bon Espresso - very tasty and LOADS of bacon!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Gaspode wrote: »

Very true. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement