Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connectivity problem (XP driver missing/deleted?)

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

A desktop I have has stopped connecting to the internet for reasons that escape me.

Until about 2 weeks ago I had a Windows XP SP3 (dual booting Ubuntu Hardy Heron) connecting wirelessly, using a Sitecom WL-142 USB wifi doohickey to connect wirelessly to a digiweb router. Then one day it stopped running.

This didn't really bother me, the Sitecom USB thing had always ran quite warm and I figured it had just burned out. The signal it picked up was patchy too, at best. And since I couldn't get open source drivers for it I could never connect to the web using Linux, so I figured I'd just run some ethernet cable to the router instead when I had some free time and do that.

Well, I've ran the wire and I've hit a problem: I think some software or drivers have been deleted that are needed to make network connections.

When I go to:
    Start > Run > cmd
    ipconfig /all

all I get is
    Windows IP Configuration

with no details of Mac addresses or anything afterwards. Nothing whatsoever.
    When I try
    ping 192.168.2.1

to ping my router I get:

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 <100% lost>,

When I try
    ping 127.0.0.1

I do get some response.

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

• I've swapped around my computer's network cable with another computer's one on the router, so I know that the socket it is in on the router is working just fine.
    • I've disabled Windows Firewall, ZoneAlarm Firewall and Avast Antivirus, no change. I've no other Firewalls on the computer.

I think its unlikely my network cable is damaged, but I can get a short one later and move the PC next to the router for testing if I need to. But even if it is, that doesn't explain why the ipconfig /all gave no information whatsoever?

Anyone got any ideas what I should do or try? I'd really prefer not to have to just reformat the computer from scratch and reinstall OSs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is your NIC card/onboard LAN showing in the Device Manager as problem free?

Is it enabled in the Network & Internet Connections section of your Control Panel?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Is your NIC card/onboard LAN showing in the Device Manager as problem free?

2922487659_40d9a5a7d1.jpg?v=0

Thanks gadgetman! Apparantly it is not. :(
    In fact, it and a bunch of other things seem awry. (I don't have speakers on this computer, so I didn't notice there was anything wrong with the sound either)

My network port is on the motherboard - does this mean I need to dig through the drivers CDs to fix this? Or is it a setting that needs changing in the BIOS?
    Is it enabled in the Network & Internet Connections section of your Control Panel?

-

No idea. Do I need to fix the first problem before dealing with this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

They are all the most common drivers to be omitted during a clean install of the OS.

Yes you need to install the missing drivers.

The Network one for now at least (The others can wait for now).

If you have the originals on disc it will get you going pretty quick but you should go to the Mobo manufactures site & get the latest drivers.

This is most definitely causing the no connectivity problem so it should be relatively easy to correct.

Don't concern yourself with the "Enabled in the Control Panel" Installing the correct drivers will sort it.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

get make and model of your mobo. go to the manufacturers website and d/l the lan drivers for that mobo and install.
    looks like u are also missing sound/video/bus controller.
    Also make sure your lan is enabled in the bios.

Advertisement