Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Vision Solutions & IR Motion detector

Options
  • 07-10-2008 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

With the dark evenings here, and for once having a spare few quid, I would like to hear suggestions for NV solutions pref available in Ireland, Helmet mounted or handheld ;) I presume they are allowed without restrictions in night skirmish?
    Also, has anyone designed a IR Intruder alarm for perimeter use (Battery/sounder/Motion detector in one package).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tonky wrote: »
    With the dark evenings here, and for once having a spare few quid, I would like to hear suggestions for NV solutions pref available in Ireland, Helmet mounted or handheld ;) I presume they are allowed without restrictions in night skirmish?
    Also, has anyone designed a IR Intruder alarm for perimeter use (Battery/sounder/Motion detector in one package).

You could rig up some cat gut on a circuit on with an alarm. If the switch was loose it wouldnt trip anyone but be an effective tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

If you want a perimeter alarm, you want a laser system or a light barrier system, not an IR system. IR systems are more for specified points like entry ways (when used with narrow scatter lenses) and for wider areas approaching a point (wide scatter lenses).

I've done a few of all three systems but they're of limited use in an airsoft game compared to the amount of time you'd have to spend setting them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

well night vision is cheap but do not be fooled, you get what you pay for.
    I have just bought the Nv 400 off eBay from Russia, turns otu it's huge!
    It's still better than nothing but I should have bought the one from aldi for the 3 year garentee alone! Mine cost 150e but it's a slightly higher spec than aldis.

The best little unit I have seen is the ATN viper head mount.
    It's small compact and is a nice price. (remember to include 21% VAT from outside Europe and the wait)
    Spicymchaggis has one, I'm sure he will fill you in.

I have seen one gen 3 but at 5k a bit ott for airsoft!!!
    Fantastic quality though! Rememberthat if two people are using nv and one turns on the infa red then it lights up stuff like a torch!

Google the viper and try to get a low Europe price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

aye i love my atn viper, use it with a socom mk23, silent kills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats something I plan on working on. IR Emiters. Set up a few around our base on a remote. We can 1, turn them on and use our NV to spot the enemy, or 2, wait till we know they are close and freak all their NV Units long enough to get em.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

How about a nice big powerfull search light just point it round the field radmomly and try burn out everyone NV optics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Utreg

Thats an option! :D
    Not all NV's have high light cut-offs...

I got a PS-14. You can get them in Ireland on www.nightvisiongear.co.uk.
    They are based here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I was under the impression that anything above gen1+ was not avaliable in ireland due to custom>? without risking starting another laser debate could anyone confirm the rules and reg regarding nv as details so far have been a little confusing to say the least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Story is this:

Anything physically mounted on an airsoft gun is a no no. Anything else is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

So are goggles ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Utreg wrote: »
    Thats an option! :D
    Not all NV's have high light cut-offs...

I got a PS-14. You can get them in Ireland on www.nightvisiongear.co.uk.
    They are based here.

Ngggggggg, (reaches for wallet again), Is there any limit on the money I can spend in Airsoft ? :D
    Ta for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Utreg

Puding wrote: »
    I was under the impression that anything above gen1+ was not avaliable in ireland due to custom>? without risking starting another laser debate could anyone confirm the rules and reg regarding nv as details so far have been a little confusing to say the least.

You can get Gen III as well. With a big wallet you can get a lot here... :D
    Took me some time to get the cash together but very happy with it.

They have the mounts for NV as well but wont ship to Ireland as they are illegal for us normal people. Well, normal...
    But you can get the bit to attach it to a camera. Which is cool. (Not that i have tried tho...)

If you do get one Id advise a tracer unit as well. Last time in Sennybridge I couldnt see wheter i hit someone or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Night vision is not illegal unless it is designed to be mounted on a firearm.

Any Gen of night vision (providing it complies with the above) can be imported and is legal. The problem is America (main manufacturer of NV and holder of the patents), the US government will not allow export of the components or complete kit of gen 3+ and above. There is other versions available from Asia and Russia above gen 3 but they are much more expensive and harder to find.

Advertisement