Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

site review

Options
  • 07-10-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi lads/ladies

Just looking for some comments on a new design I have done for solicitor.
    Still only half the content included but interested in peoples thoughts

http://www.brabazonsolicitors.com/

be nice.....ish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

it looks the finest, quick to load, should do the solicitor nicley, one thing, the top menu bar looks like somebody squished it into the rest of the page....good work besides that...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

cheers

Still getting used to switching to floating divs
    I know the main toolbar is jam packed but thats what they wanted - they actually wanted more

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

At a glance it looks good.

I think the left links and graphics in some pages are a little hard to read though. You might need to darken them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

swordsinfo wrote: »
    I know the main toolbar is jam packed but thats what they wanted - they actually wanted more
    That's always a problem, everything on the front page :D

On http://www.brabazonsolicitors.com/contact.asp when you click in the Comments box the text "Type comments here." should disappear, now I have to remove it manually.

on probs there will work on the inner html stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

looks very good...loads quick and nice colours..

Some suggestions:

make the links in the top nav underline when you hover over. No alt or title text appearing in FireFox either when you hover over the links

The image for "Nil aon rud ro bheag no ro mhor" lookes a little pixelated. If possible fix this up or alteratively use text to display this.

Put company details into the footer - company registration number, registered offices etc.

Add in a privacy policy page

Add the JS for your google map on the location page further down in your code. Its location at the moment is stopping the page from loading quickley. The ideal situation is have all the header and text load and then the google map last

Other than that looks good - good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭vodkadub

Slight typo

"T.J. Brabazon & Co. Solicitors prides itself on giving comprehensive legal advise to our clients. We provide a full range of legal services from personal injuries to intellectual property law."

Change advise to advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

quicky. ...

menu slightly broken in FF3

image on the left ... text is too hard to read ...

main body background (header) doesn't really work for me ... colour just seems wrong.

actually all the LHS menus seem a bit on the light side

banner image seems to be taking up a bit too much vertical space but that could just be me

in this case I'm not sure about the mirroring on the solicitors name

not too sure about having the line at the top in irish only ... confusing for non irish speakers ?

no contact page ... (I was on a page and wanted to get in contact ... what about a number in the footer or something ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

It may not be an issue,but there doesn't seem to be any form validation on the contact page..ie I can send an empty comment to the site,without filling any of the fields....Nice,clean looking site tho!

Man u hate my sites :P

Common comment is the link colour plus image colour (gold isn't distinctive enough - i'll sort it

was going to have the nothing to small or too bif rotating might just do it in english with some sub irish txt with it?? How about it??

What ya mean no contact page it should be on every page?? :)

• Advertisement

MackPaddy wrote: »
    It may not be an issue,but there doesn't seem to be any form validation on the contact page..ie I can send an empty comment to the site,without filling any of the fields....Nice,clean looking site tho!

Aye like I said still in development - but cheers for pointing that out would have definately forgotten.

On that note is there any good way of stopping prople from spaming your online messaging systems - I add the image code word as it was runing a feedback form I was using - only implemented it last night so not sure how successful it will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not sure about the picture of the mouse for the contact us link; perhaps consider keeping the right hand side contact panel on all pages? As has been mentioned, some hovers on the nav menu would brighten it up a bit.

From a personal point of view, if I was looking for a solicitor, then I think I would find the site very clear and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

swordsinfo wrote: »
    Man u hate my sites :P

Common comment is the link colour plus image colour (gold isn't distinctive enough - i'll sort it

was going to have the nothing to small or too bif rotating might just do it in english with some sub irish txt with it?? How about it??

What ya mean no contact page it should be on every page?? :)
    I guess the gold text meant he missed the contact page link.

The main navigation is the only thing I find odd about the site especially considering the size of the main image above it. Some sort of roleover effect on the links would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

It's pretty decent, but there's a sever lack of attention to detail. There's lots of little alignment problems, font inconsistencies and small gaps in odd places. Also, using stuff like :: is really amateur. Design a nice bullet point, those are just lazy and ugly.

If you want to improve your work, then focus on the details more.

Cheers for the comment - like I said its still in the dev. phase so these problems need to be ironed out. Were are the probs with the font inconsistanceys??

Re bullets no worries there - I do try and keep pages as texual - if thats such a word - as I can hence the double colons. But you get the idea of what I'm trying to get at which in itself is good.

Cheers fo the comments!

Also I added javascript handling on the comment form is this the way to go or should I hadle it server side?

www.brabazonsolicitors.com

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

Its always an area of debate regarding application validation.Some may say that client validation is enough..however if a user disables javascript in the browser(which is popular in an age of constant pop-ups etc) then your form is wide open. Personally I would use server side validation, even tho this would put more work on the server (but I think for your comment box you shoud be safe :))

I just had a quick scan of the formatting on your comments page.I know its still in dev...but I thought id highlight what I saw

Colon placement not consistent ie
    i: online contact form

p : 01 8532388

Also the First Name text is missing a colon I think, Comments text too?

Only minor things,but I think they take away from a good site...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

swordsinfo... Now I'm not that picky about perfection when it comes to html... but a nice tool if you want to be sure that a website will look perfect is http://validator.w3.org/

Type in your URL... and click "Check"...

All things faulty underneath the bonnet are revealed.

I entered your homepage, and it threw back 12 errors, but in my opinion they are mickey-mouse things that should not make it look crap in any browser. That validator is very picky, so I wouldn't let it get the better of you... but it's a good eye-opener.

The site looks very well to the average user - that's the main thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I know it's only filler but there's a typo in 'Employement law' on the Employment Law page.

On IE 6 the Housing and Criminal Law pages appear below the Contact us pic.
    They're the only 2 with a submenu, maybe it's to do with that.

On the contact page:
    Not sure why the top pic changes to a mouse just for that page, I kind of expected just the same pic that's on all the other pages. Unless you're planning to have different pics on different pages.

And 'Please fill all required fields below' doesn't sound right.
    If all the fields are required, then maybe 'Please fill in all fields below'
    Also, there's no colon after 'First name' or 'Comments' while there is after the other headings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Only had a quick glance but looks good and professional.

I'd add a hover on the menu to change the background to maybe the purple colour of the page background's strip, just to add some interactivity to it.

hey cheers for the comments will try and have a good peak at the ideas tomorrow - I did get a lot of users requiring more activity from the main menu which I have now added please let me know what you think

www.brabazonsolicitors.com

thanks again for the comments been pretty good feedback so pretty happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Doesn't work for me in Firefox 3 - nav text is white on white until the rollover.

See screenshot - the links on the left I have already hovered over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

eoin_s wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me in Firefox 3 - nav text is white on white until the rollover.

See screenshot - the links on the left I have already hovered over.

+1

Still not too keen about the body background image colors are just slightly off for my liking

What I'd meant about the contact us .... was that its not a menu item and I think it should be. Or else I have to remember I've got to go to the home page to find it.

forbairt wrote: »
    +1

Still not too keen about the body background image colors are just slightly off for my liking

What I'd meant about the contact us .... was that its not a menu item and I think it should be. Or else I have to remember I've got to go to the home page to find it.

There should be a link on the left of every page? (mouse icon tingy?)

Advertisement