Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get (really) small quantities of building sand?

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a very small job at home at the moment, replacing a fire place with a new stove. I need a bucket or two of soft sand for bedding down a new hearth and a bucket or two of sharp sand to make up a sand/ cement render. I don't know anyone who's doing any building at the moment, so my question is, where can I get such small quantities for these odd jobs? Do any of the builder's merchants sell bags of sand? I'm in Portlaoise.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Where you based? I know The hardware in Portarlington will give you any quantity you want.

I'm got sand here if ya need it. Couldn't tell ya wheather it's soft or whatever. Bring a bucket and spade if ya want it.
    bucket.jpg

Genuine offer, PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks Kikel, I'm actually in Portlaoise (that hole!) I'll probably try the local builder's providers first. Appreciate the offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

We have a few bags out in the shed (again, Portarlington). there were some going spare in boyfriend's workplace and he took some "because you never know when it might come in handy" so you are more than welcome to take a bucket or two if you can't find it anywhere closer to home :) (I'm presuming it is the same type as sand as you are looking for)

EDIT: Actually just reading your post again I see you are looking for two different kinds. Pretty sure we just have the one, but sure it might come in useful if you are stuck.

Thanks Deise girl, I will try the hardware shop first, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Both gings and telfords sell 5kg bads of plastering sand

• Advertisement

Excellent! That's where I'll be going so. Cheers Moose!

Folks, I got my sand in Gings after, didn't know you could buy it like that (bagged) so it worked out very convenient for me in the end (I live less than 5 mins from them!). I'll be scudding, scratching and skimming over the coming days! Thanks for all the offers of sand!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Enjoy your plastering Jack beautiful weather for it:D

Angle beads are on and walls scudded, everything is going according to plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Sadly... I even know what he's talking about when he speaks of angle beads and skudding....

Jackette of all trades alert here....

Hope it turns out according to plan there jack!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement