Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADHD

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Just got a diagnosis for my 9yr old boy of ADHD and ASD traits. Apparently he is not 'ticking all the box's' for either but more for ADHD. So I am looking for any advice regarding diet and strategies I can implement for home and school. How successful is cbt. Where would I go for it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 C\m\C

i'm not a psychologist, obviously.. but possibly Zyprexa would be good nutrional supplement along with Omega 3 oils for the young man.

there should be instant improvement in his ability to concentrate on work and also his social,emotional development.

i never believed drugs were the best choice, but they do work.

Best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 saoirsetouch

C\m\C wrote: »
    i'm not a psychologist, obviously.. but possibly Zyprexa would be good nutrional supplement along with Omega 3 oils for the young man.

there should be instant improvement in his ability to concentrate on work and also his social,emotional development.

Best wishes.

C\m\C,
    Thanks for your reply. I have never heard of this supplement before which suprises me. (supplement junkie) But I will definately researh it. I have put him on to a good multi vitamin, eskimo oil and concentration essence. I am certain this is the way rather than the drug path. I am also eliminating the biscuits and sweets, not that he gets many but I have explained to him that it is like an experiment and it should improve his overall feeling and concentration levels.

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beni66

vision acuity!
    there are a lot a cases when blur vision cause "bad" behavier that support ADHD.

beni66 wrote: »
    vision acuity!
    there are a lot a cases when blur vision cause "bad" behavier that support ADHD.

Thanks, you just reminded me to make an appointment for him. His younger brother wears glasses as do I and I am prepared to explore every avenue.

Thanks

C\m\C wrote: »

Best wishes.

Just had a quick google and Zyprexa probably is not what I am looking for

http://www.the-zyprexa-lawyer.com/news_09072008.html

Thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

we started using Udo's chopice oil for our 7 year old(ASD diasgnosis) when she was 5 1/2 yrs, she showed signs of improvement in temperment/communication etc within weeks, we have used it since.

we started using Udo's chopice oil for our 7 year old(ASD diasgnosis) when she was 5 1/2 yrs, she showed signs of improvement in temperment/communication etc within weeks, we have used it since.

I have used udos oilo myself for various conditions and while it is great I find it too disguisting to ingest. I have no hope of getting him to take it and I have been told that the capsule form is not as strong of a concentration. At the moment things are good. He is doing well in school (I think) and I feel that his teacher is being very patient with him and offering lots of encouragement. she also suggested bring in a stress ball so he can manipulate in his hand while writing. This may stop some fidgeting.
    I find bedtime the most active. He cannot sleep and is often awake untill almost midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

yeah, I understand those problems, our little one wakes between 5:30 and 6AM most mornings, we are trying a feew things to combat it, but it takes time.

Is he getting any high energy foods in the late afternoon/evening?

you may get some tips on this website:
    http://www.saoirsesupport.proboards107.com/

Thanks for the link. I will have a look in detail tomorrow.
    Regarding high energy food......not really. He would snack on petite fulous or possibly a bowl of cereal before bed. All cereals seem to contain sugar but we only stick to corn flakes and shreadies. Mind you they drizzle honey over them. But generally there is no junk. The evening meal is ususally meat and 2 veg. I don't use processed chicken and keep meals as healthy as possible. Pizza once a week on a Sat. I am a childs worst nightmare when it comes to meals. Plenty of stew, shepards pie and home made soup. Chips are once a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 freespirit96

Hi Saoirse,

The following link is a really good post from a parent who has experience with the Casein/gluten free diet:

http://www.saoirsesupport.proboards107.com/index.cgi?board=casein&action=display&thread=26

Worth a read!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

Its normal for young children to be awake at 6am. They'd be watching cartoons because they like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

go to www.adhd.ie
    A stress ball can casue the hild to focus on that, texture, movement etc.
    As for diet yes go with Eskimo oil, cut back on any sweets etc, although adhd is NOT caused by bad diet, bad diet wont help it .
    For the lack of sleep, ..well we would need to look at whats going on, the bigger picture.Is he tired or are you.Is he wakeing you up early.Sometimes 6 hours is ok for him, but not for the family so looking at all your options should help.If you go to the adhd web site and pm me your contact details we will be ble to sort something out.take care,
    cathy

Advertisement