Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules 2008 - Irish Squad Discussion

Options
  • 07-10-2008 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Well i believe the squad is going to be named today sometime,
    So far, we know were are going to be without Kennelly (Swans) and Clarke (Collingwood).

It looks possible that we will have Begley & Hanley (lions) in the squad, after that just dont know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That young fella from Kerry who did well this year is also out apparently due to club commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

Tommy Walsh?

Yeah that's him.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=74121-qqqx=1.asp
    Walsh likely to miss out on Rules Series

By Jim O’Sullivan
    TOMMY WALSH’S continuing club commitment in the Kerry SFC with Kerins O’Rahillys looks certain to rule him out of the International Rules Series in Australia.

Barring a surprise defeat for the Strand Road club in their championship quarter-final against Dingle on Sunday, the likely young player of the year will have to forego the chance of representing his country in the same season that he made such a major impact in his first senior campaign.

That’s because the Kerry semi-finals are fixed for October 26 (two days after the first Test in Perth) and the County Board is sticking rigidly to their schedule. This will see the final played on November 2 (the weekend of the second Test in Melbourne) if it involves two clubs in order to meet the deadline for the Munster club championship. Alternatively, it will be decided a week later if two divisional teams qualify.

Board chairman Jerome Conway stated yesterday that they were not prepared to call any games off because of the International Series. Without knowing if Walsh will be named in the travelling party by manager Sean Boylan this morning, he commented: “It would be unfortunate for any player to miss out on the chance of playing in the series, but we made that situation is quite clear to all the clubs and they understand.”

Walsh was one of the first Kerry players to be called into the training group after the All-Ireland final and he has been in Dublin for the last two weekends.

And, while the Irish management have not intimated what their intentions are in regard to the travelling party, the indications are that he is included in their plans.

A suggestion was made yesterday that in the event of Kerins O’Rahillys qualifying for the semi-final, the game might be brought forward a week and Walsh could travel out to Australia the day after. However, that scenario is ruled out by the insistence of the Board to adhere to their programme and by the fact that the Tralee club would obviously not be prepared to release him for the final in the event of them advancing.

Team captain Seán Cavanagh is another with club commitments, but in his case the Tyrone County Board is prepared to do everything to facilitate him. At the weekend Moy qualified for the semi-final of the intermediate championship and this game will be played next Sunday. In the event of them winning, the plan is to play the final under lights in mid-week.

Meanwhile, Boylan and selectors Eoin Liston, Anthony Tohill and Hugh Kenny will have had a lot of other issues to mull over following the weekend training session in Croke Park. For instance, they would have had to make a choice between the two goalkeepers in training — Galway’s Paul Doherty and Meath’s David Gallagher. Alternatively, they could decide to play a defender in goal — as former manager Pete McGrath did half-way through the second test three years ago. Of greater interest will be the number of players who have previously played against the Australians to be named in the 27-man panel.

Cavanagh and vice-captain Graham Canty have considerable experience, although nothing to match that of Derry star Sean Marty Lockhart (the most ‘capped,’ with 16 appearances). Already named as the team’s runner, he will take no part in either of the two tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

canty oniell, miskella (cork) m.murphy, m.mcgrath (fermanagh) a.kernan,s.smac,r.clarke(armagh) p.bradley,k.mccloy(derry) ,a.o'mahony, donaghy (kerry) B.cahill, b.cullen (dublin) D.earley (kildare) B.coulter (down) c.lyng r.barry b.malone (wexford), fianain moriarty michael meehan(galway)

these are some of the guys that have trained in a preliminary squad... I reckon there'll be 4 (definites)from Tyrone: both mcmahons, mcginley and cavanagh as captain and the maybe 2 or 3 AFL players: Begley, O'hAilpin, maybe Hanley

Interesting to see Micheal Sheilds not being selected after he turned his back on AFL

Wasn't Bernard Brogan training with them as well? Pretty sure he was.

• Advertisement

i don't think Bernard was training but I could be wrong - I couldn't see him being picked anyway. His bro Alan is getting hitched so opted out.... even as a Dubs fan I can't see how Cullen is in... he's living on reputation at the moment.

Didn't know Alan was gettin married. Berno wouldn't be able for it anyway I don't think purely based on his size.

Can't understand Cullen either. The only Dubs that could maybe be any use would be Cluxton (for nets obviously) and Conal Keaney. Other than that there's no one that stands out.

I don't know why Cluxton wasn't selected meself. A future IR player from Dublin will be Eamon Fennell - I'd have him in over Cullen.

Overall between withdrawals and injuries it will far from Sean Boylans preferred squad. I'm sure it's no different in Oz.
    I heard Eoin Liston on the radio this morning saying the Irish are going to have to accept their tackles and get on with it - I think there's been a change in mindset so we might just get a sporting occasion!

got this list but don't know how reliable the source is... looks like B.Brogan is in after all

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Irish International Rules squad:
    Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone), Graham Canty (Cork), David Gallagher (Meath), Colm Begley ( Brisbane Lions/Laois), Paddy Bradley (Derry), Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Benny Coulter (Down), Bryan Cullen (Dublin), Kieran Donaghy (Kerry), Leighton Glynn (Wicklow), Finian Hanley (Galway), John Keane (Westmeath), Aaron Kernan (Armagh), Ciarán Lyng (Wexford), Steven McDonnell (Armagh), Enda McGinley (Tyrone), Ciarán McKeever (Armagh), Joe McMahon (Tyrone), Justin McMahon (Tyrone), Michael Meehan (Galway), John Miskella (Cork), Aidan OMahony (Kerry), Pearse O'Neill (Cork), Tom Parsons (Mayo), Kevin Reilly (Meath), Killian Young (Kerry).

Standby: Aidan Carr (Down), Ronan Clarke (Armagh), Paul Finlay (Monaghan), Conor Gormley (Tyrone), Kevin McCloy (Derry), Martin McGrath (Fermanagh).
    [/FONT]

Jeez I'd have Ronan Clarke in there definitely. He's a beast.

• Advertisement

the biggest surprise is we have no goalkeeper! well, David Gallagher is nominated as keeper but plays outfield for his club! On top of that he hasn't played inter county football since 2006! - one of Seans Meath boys, hope he enjoys the golf...

I don't know what to think of this squad to be honest, a little worried:(

Have to say, there's a fair few names I don't know.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Aussie squad now. I followed most of the AFL season this year so it'll be the first time I'll be familiar with their players

Just confirmed that it will be announced tomorrow morning our time so I'll have it on here by the time you guys get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Surprised that Ronan Clarke hasn’t made the original squad. I would have had him as one of the first names down for a forward along with his team mate Mc Donnell.
    Not confident with Bryan Cullen and Bernard Brogan in there (not Dub-bashing btw, just don’t think Brogan is physically right for it and think Cullen has been poor for a few years now).
    The lack of Australian based players is a bit of a concern too. I had though we would be relying on having a few of those guys with us. Obviously Clarke and Keneally are injured, but what about the rest of them??

the O'hAilpins are having a scrap with their coach in true Cork tradition and sacked their agent and are looking to move. peirce hanley had only a couple of games - no other Irish AFL first teamers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

looking at that team, and comparing it to the Aussie one, I think they will be far more on the ball and doing a lot more running than us. Whilst they have a lot of midfielders and athletes, we dont seem to have too many Brian Dooher type players who do lots of tracking back and carrying the ball. There are a few 'big' lads picked, like pierce O Neill and Canty, and a few smaller players like Lyng and Miskella, but I'm not sure if we have enough pace through the team. Kernan will be the type of player who would be suited to it, pacy and good passer and intelligent. I really dont know how good Donaghy will be tho, he's big and a good fielder, but he wont get easy non contact marks like he would in GAA.

Doubts now over the availability of Sean Cavanagh, Bernard Brogan and Tommy Walsh due to club commitments.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Doubts now over the availability of Sean Cavanagh, Bernard Brogan and Tommy Walsh due to club commitments.

Cavanagh will go, he has said he doesnt want to miss Moys first Ulster game, but what can he do, suggesting he'd play the county final but miss the Ulster game. Brogan might be able to head out after his game, should they win, and there was always a doubt over Tommy Walsh. There will be doubts over other players too, I know Ciaran Lyng has a county hurling semi final on, but I think he is going to miss that.

Well Walsh is now ruled out. Some lad from Monaghan is in instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well Walsh is now ruled out. Some lad from Monaghan is in instead.

Paul Finlay. Very good passer of the ball and a great free taker. Doesn't have the greatest of engines though. If he plays it'll probably be in some sort of playmaking position round centre forward.
    Should have been in the original squad. If we try and use the mark more this year we need good passer of a ball to make them in scoring positions. This is the benefit of a player like Finlay being in.

Don't see Brogan as a major loss if he can't make it.

Advertisement