Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law after a BA

Options
  • 06-10-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have just graduated from UCC with a BA in English and French. I really want to become a solicitor and was thinking of enrolling in the FE1 prep course in GCD. however, I'm a bit dubious as I have heard it is really difficult to find an apprenticeship after the exams. Does anyone have any advice or experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Yes, postpone your plans to become a solcitor for the short term and work in another area. Wanting to become a solicitor right now is like wanting to become an airline pilot right after the attacks on the twin towers i.e. total madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Yes, a read of a poor solicitor in the Irish Times who only made $20,000 after taxes and expenses in his first year. The horror... THE HORROR! :rolleyes:

But seriously, jobs are thin on the ground. Only do it if you really, really want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It is very hard alright at the moment to get an apprenticeship, I have the FE1's and an MA but finding it very difficult to even get an interview. On the other hand it might be no harm doing the FE1's over the next 2/3 years with part-time study while working in another area. You have five years from the time you finish the FE1's to secure an apprenticeship and things should have turned around by then.

Advertisement