Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does boards.ie make money

Options
  • 06-10-2008 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

How does boards.ie make money:rolleyes:
    and how much do they make and who owns it??
    any ideas ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

adverts ... subscriptions ...

They make whatever is left over after hosting / servers / licenses / software development / wages for I think the one ? coder .... are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

I read that they were bought over by another media company whose name is melting my brains as I just can not remember. Definately worth money though as the traffic is huge, wish I owned it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

how much?

10k maybe....

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Make money from suckers like me subscribing and adverts.

Visit the site logged out and i think between every forth post there is a big banner advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Make money from suckers like me subscribing and adverts.

I don't think they charge for either service do they?

• Advertisement

handbraker wrote: »
    I don't think they charge for either service do they?

I pay for my subscription, not much but if they where to get a good number of subscribers they would be laughing.

You can be assured that every advert you see on this site would have come with a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

They also have the commercial interaction forums ? though I'm not sure if that was just due to popularity ? or if the businesses actually paid to have the forums there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

I read that they were bought over by another media company whose name is melting my brains as I just can not remember. Definitely worth money though as the traffic is huge, wish I owned it :)

Daft.ie bought boards.ie recently and I imagine it was for considerably more than 10K.

Daft.ie bought boards.ie recently and I imagine it was for considerably more than 10K.

That would explain all the Daft adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

They only bought a minority share.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cork Local

They'll also get money from the Google Ad's

I pay for my subscription, not much but if they where to get a good number of subscribers they would be laughing.

You can be assured that every advert you see on this site would have come with a price.

Hi Damo Do you get anything extra for your subcription? or is it just giving back to the community or something?

Hi Damo Do you get anything extra for your subcription? or is it just giving back to the community or something?

There is a list of advantages here http://www.boards.ie/subscribers.php

Its more giving back giving back to the community for me tbh.

seems reasonable enough any idea how many people have signed up

seems reasonable enough any idea how many people have signed up

Have no idea.

They might be able to tell you over in feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Good news for Breslin. I think my brother would have been into quake when boards was being set up. It's a great resource and the founder(s) deserve to make a few quid out of it even if that's not why they set it up!

Are all the posts still archived on the servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Boards was recently valued at 3mil and made a profit of 12k last year. So Daft's recent investment was significantly more than 10k :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I don't think they actually make much money out of the site at all!

they could. This site is numer 21 in Ireland and in the top 6,000 worldwide. Any site with those kind of ratings can easily monetize ( and there are better ways than google ads)

it is not just the number of people on it - page views per user is about 6 ( way higher than the average).

So in terms of advertising this place is as good as an RTE ad. They could make more money with bigger more directed ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

From reading some stuff dating from 2006 (and to do with the whole MCD and legal proceedings thing) it was mentioned several times that boards.ie is operated on a not-for-profit basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gezas

The all money you can make from internet it’s to selling something, I mean e-shop, or you could sell an advertising space, but you need to have very good traffic for that or to have very popular web site. So it’s very simple – because boards.ie is not an e-shop, they probably selling an advertising space. ;)

gezas wrote: »
    The all money you can make from internet it’s to selling something, I mean e-shop, or you could sell an advertising space, but you need to have very good traffic for that or to have very popular web site. So it’s very simple – because boards.ie is not an e-shop, they probably selling an advertising space. ;)

Whats with the big writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gezas

Whats with the big writing?

Sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Supposedly, They try to operate on a not-for-profit basis, they are a company but its supposed to be because Ireland has messed up laws about registering domain names (boards.ie), and it need to be an actual company so they can recieve money from subscribers. The idea of it being a company give the impression that they are in this to make money, but i dont think they are milking us out of our cash are they? :)

KatCookie wrote: »
    but i dont think they are milking us out of our cash are they? :)

Well I give €5 a month and that is optional, I can stop paying now if I want so doubt anyone is being milked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

:)
    thats my point... if i get a regular wage (im a student) i'd subscribe, its not in your face kinda advertising so that really appeals to me, they dont appear to be extremely desperate for my money :cool:

Advertisement