Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car tyre disposal

Options
  • 06-10-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Anybody know where i can dispose of old car wheels? I searched Dublinwaste.ie but the bring centres dont seem to take them

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

http://www.dublin.ie/disp_list.aspx?catid=34

"You can make a tyre-swing out of old tyres or alternativly make a hanging basket. Old tyres can be given to your local petrol station where they are recycled. When tyres are recycled, they can be used as radical rubber flooring."

Don't know if it's true or not..might be worth giving them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Some make potato planters; stack them as they grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

taconnol wrote: »
    http://www.dublin.ie/disp_list.aspx?catid=34

"You can make a tyre-swing out of old tyres or alternativly make a hanging basket. Old tyres can be given to your local petrol station where they are recycled. When tyres are recycled, they can be used as radical rubber flooring."

Don't know if it's true or not..might be worth giving them a call.

I'd love to see someone try and drop off their old tyres after filling up with petrol.

If it's wheels you want rid of, bring them to a scrap metal yard, not a car breakers, they'll pay you for the weight of steel/alloy you have.

If it tyres unfortunately you'll have to pay a garage/tyre fitters to take them or if you know a farmer they may take them for covering silage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thanks for the correction delboy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

save them up for the halloween bonfi....... eeeh nevermind....:D

are Crumb Rubber in Co Louth still trading? they are the only tyre recycling plant in the country that i know of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Some interesting suggestions there.....

I have five four car wheels with the tyres still on them. I asked at the recycling centre and he says i can bring them one or two at a time in the boot. I asked at a petrol station and i think they thought i was crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Farmers sometimes look for them for Silage pits. Last time I got tyres there was an environmental levy of €5 per tyre for their "disposal" so I queried it and was told that if I left the garage the old tyres they'd have to charge it. Naturally I took them away and had accumulated a good share of tyres which were used for bonfires (I'll have a good share for when Sam comes back home in 09) and I dumped a share along with other rubbish when I had a skip over a while back! Nothing burns so well like a tyre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Farmers sometimes look for them for Silage pits. Last time I got tyres there was an environmental levy of €5 per tyre for their "disposal" so I queried it and was told that if I left the garage the old tyres they'd have to charge it. Naturally I took them away and had accumulated a good share of tyres which were used for bonfires (I'll have a good share for when Sam comes back home in 09) and I dumped a share along with other rubbish when I had a skip over a while back! Nothing burns so well like a tyre.
    Well burning them is illegal,
    Yea crumb rubber are still in operation
    Tyre cntrs have to pay the likes of crumb rubber to take/dispose of them,you have to pay for all disposal now,farmers are allowed to take a certain amount for covering silge pits,but most silage is wrapped now so they dont need them,tyre cntrs have to produce receipts to the dept of enviro to veirfy where every tyre that they sold was disposed of,the ones replced.Most people think its the tyre cntr that its chargeing the disposal fee but its not,i know i would prefer if cutomers brought there wast tyres away with them,and if and when they do we have to keep there name and adress on record as proof.Even tyres have gone PC now.

Advertisement