Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks 'wasting 23 million litres of water a day'

Options
  • 06-10-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Starbucks has today been accused of wasting more than 23 million litres of water every day.

The coffee chain, which prides itself on being green, has a health and safety policy of leaving taps running in all of its 10,000 branches worldwide it has been revealed today.

The company policy prohibits staff from turning off a cold tap behind the counter called a 'dipper well'.

This means that Starbucks is wasting roughly 23.4 million litres of water on a daily basis. That's enough water to quench the thirst of the entire population of drought-stricken Namibia.

In Britain where there are just fewer than 700 branches of the coffee shop, 1.6 million litres are wasted every day.

Starbucks bosses claim that the flow of water stops germs from festering in the taps.

Peter Robinson of environmental charity Waste Water told The Sun: "Leaving taps running all day is a shocking waste of precious water. And to claim you are doing it for health and safety reasons is bonkers."

But they give you their used coffee grounds for your compost heap for free so that balances everything out.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Celticfire wrote: »
    But they give you their used coffee grounds for your compost heap

Best place for Starbucks coffee if you ask me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm going to go out and kill some people tonight because it will offset my carbon footprint with less people on the planet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'm going to go out and kill some people tonight because it will offset my carbon footprint with less people on the planet.
    In Munich? Nah, you'd do more good over here. Or the US :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

BendiBus wrote: »
    Best place for Starbucks coffee if you ask me :pac:

+1 :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Actually, they do this in Ben & Jerry's icecream places as well..at least in the cinemas I've been to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Celticfire wrote: »
    But they give you their used coffee grounds for your compost heap for free so that balances everything out.....

its not wasted buddy, it evaporates and returns to our oceans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I couldnt believe this when i heard it this morning, its ridiculous.

This really annoys me, its like the people over the summer in the town where i work with sprinklers on!

HELLO did they not see the bloody rain falling all summer? No need for them!

All for the water charges here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Jimkel wrote: »
    its not wasted buddy, it evaporates and returns to our oceans.

well thank goodness for that, I just thought it went into a hole in the ground never to be seen again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

So you agree. so whats the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No wonder my shower pressure has been low recently!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

kmart6 wrote: »
    No wonder my shower pressure has been low recently!!

Lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jemmy wrote: »
    I couldnt believe this when i heard it this morning, its ridiculous.

This really annoys me, its like the people over the summer in the town where i work with sprinklers on!

HELLO did they not see the bloody rain falling all summer? No need for them!

Last time I was in the States it was the start of summer. We used to be walking in p!ssing rain and have to dodge sprinlers soaking the road/sidewalk/carpark and the area they where watering wasn't that big.

Since most other countries already charge for water adding charges here won't stop them running taps in the USA or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Del2005 wrote: »
    Last time I was in the States it was the start of summer. We used to be walking in p!ssing rain and have to dodge sprinlers soaking the road/sidewalk/carpark and the area they where watering wasn't that big.

I cant believe peoples stupidity. I mean i wouldnt be a real eco person, i recycling what i can and the like. But using a sprinkler when its already lashing down 90% of the time is just ridiculous. :eek:

Del2005 wrote: »
    Since most other countries already charge for water adding charges here won't stop them running taps in the USA or anywhere else.

Well it might make a bit of a difference. I know it will where im thinking of! :rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jemmy wrote: »

I would be to an extent...after a generous and sustainable personal allowance is applied for every person in the land.
    As for in this case? Starmucks would have already been paying for the water they were "using" in this country since they'd be renting a commercial property and treated as a business...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jimkel wrote: »
    So you agree. so whats the issue?

The cost to collect, treat, pump and distribute it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

A few people here seem to have a problem with Starbucks doing this, has anybody here rang starbucks HQ and asked them about it?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i wish they'd ask somebody in the industry before there put out press releases on this.

Advertisement