Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave and Contract Position.

Options
  • 06-10-2008 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I work for a very large multinational organisation. They hire all employees on a contract position and you are then made a full time employee. I am on my forth 6 month contract with them and every performance feedback meeting i have i recieve an exceptional rating.

I have just found out i am pregnant. What are the chances of them being able to nt renew my contract as it will be up for renewal once i am 8 months gone. I am worried they will use it as an excuse. I know they can say my job is no longer required but i assume the second they hire a new person to the team they would be liable. We all perform the same tasks and there are new hires here shorter terms than myself.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As far as I can tell, provided that you're a PAYE employee of the company, you are just as entitled to maternity leave as a permanent worker.

If you're not a PAYE employee of the company (i.e. you're a self-employed contractor), you have no right to maternity leave.

It all really depends on the employment scenario. In the former case, pregnancy alone would be insufficient grounds for refusing further employment. In the latter case, they don't have to justify dropping the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

just to clarify i am contracted through an agency to this company. it is how they hire all new employees. Does this change anything.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi,

just to clarify i am contracted through an agency to this company. it is how they hire all new employees. Does this change anything.

Thanks

I think that effectively means you're not employed by the company.

Advertisement