Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rifles on farms

Options
  • 05-10-2008 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

I am seriously considering purchasing a .22lr rifle and have been informed that to fire a rifle on farmers land, I need to get their consent.
    how would i just go to their doors and tell them my situation?
    also, if they do not give me permission can i go to rifle ranges. or are there calibre restrictions? (i wouldn't think so for a .22 but better safe than sorry) thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

ak51535 wrote: »
    I am seriously considering purchasing a .22lr rifle and have been informed that to fire a rifle on farmers land, I need to get their consent.

To fire any firearm on anyone else's land you need their permission. Even to enter onto their land with a firearm without their consent is an offence.
    how would i just go to their doors and tell them my situation?

Definitely. First move is to have a chat with the landowner in question.
    also, if they do not give me permission can i go to rifle ranges. or are there calibre restrictions? (i wouldn't think so for a .22 but better safe than sorry) thanks.

It depends from range to range. Some ranges are only authorised up to a certain calibre and others aren't. Contact the range beforehand and ask.

I don't know of any range that wouldn't allow a .22lr though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You should be asking permission to go onto their land first, let alone fire a rifle. I'm suprised anyone might think you don't need permission :confused:

Talk to the farmer first. If they refuse then that's fine, it's their land and their choice.

Find your local gun club and if there isn't a club,maybe you can start one.:)
    Ask around, the locals will know where and where you cannot go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The first steps are the hardest. Once you get to know a farmer in an area you most likely won't be too long getting the nod from other lads in the area as well. Farmers talk to eachother and once you get yourself known as an allright sort of a lad you'll find that a good few farmers in an area will give you permission or at least let it be known that you're ok to go on to their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Some farmers dont like rifles shot on the land. Dont forget.... that bullet aint gonna stop if it doesnt hit the ground, it will go through ditches and keep on going until it hits something solid or runs out of energy. Make sure to go with a friend to show you the ropes if you havent shot before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

alan123 wrote: »
    Some farmers dont like rifles shot on the land. Dont forget.... that bullet aint gonna stop if it doesnt hit the ground, it will go through ditches and keep on going until it hits something solid or runs out of energy. Make sure to go with a friend to show you the ropes if you havent shot before.

Good point! Anyone starting off for the 1st time should go out with somone who is familar with shooting rifles and will be able to show you the difference between safe shot choice and unsafe. Also have a walk round the ground you plan to use the rifle on to get familar with the ground itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ak51535

ok, thanks i have two farmers in mind so im just waiting on a mate to get me their address, also i am waiting on an acceptance to my local club. They said once i am accepted i can go out wiht them and they will teach me the lie of the land.The people I have talked to so far havn't said anything against rifles as it is a .22 and know i am just starting out.
    Thanks to those who posted :)

Advertisement