Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB not working at all since update

Options
  • 05-10-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi,

My mother installed some sort of update a few days ago. I don't know what it was, either Windows Update or Java. Since that though the machine blue screens when it gets past the Windows logo screen.

I've narrowed it down to USB devices. It loads up perfectly without any USB devices plugged in. I've also googled it a good bit and the general consensus is that it's a SP3 issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/en-us

It says this can be fixed by disabling the file 'intelppm'. Thing is I can't use the mouse or keyboard because they're USB and there is no bloody PS/2 port on the computer. By the way it's a Dell Dimension 5150.

I can't find the Dell Recovery CD so I tried to get to the recovery console using my own XP install CD but the option isn't there, only the option to install over the existing partition or create a new one etc.

I suppose what I'm asking is how else can I disable the file? I can't remote on to the machine and work from this computer as I need to accept the connection which is impossible without KB/Mouse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Have you tried booting into safe mode? Keep pressing F8 when your BIOS messages have finished when you switch it on, you should get a menu up that will let you choose safe mode, that should let you start the PC and use the keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Safemode doesn't work either. If anything is plugged in it blue screens immediately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If your keyboard and mouse is USB, you might be able to boot without it connected. Once booted, plug in the mouse and keyboard and try disabling that way.

EDIT: If you get a fatal error on startup when its disconnected, you should be able to go into the BIOS and change the Halt on Errors setting. This way, you can boot without the keyboard connected.

Nope Sully. The machine blue screens as soon as any USB device is plugged in, safemode wont load up because I can't select it from the list :)

I'm trying to use a different Dell recovery CD so will see how this goes.

edit: Okay, disabled intelppm from the console. Problem still there. Any ideas? :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats the error on blue screen?

• Advertisement

Right after the Windows logo:
    An attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.

Blah blah blah

***STOP 0x000000FC (0xBA5078E8, 0x0AC11963, 0x0000001)

edit: In the recovery console it said that the file was disabled successfully and to just restart. Exact same issue occurs however.

Did a bit of research on this, as I havent came across it myself. This site seems to cover a lot of it;
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3783133&SiteID=17

I think we've got it now. Did method 4 on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/e

In Safemode now uninstalling SP3 again. Damn SP3..

I think we've got it now. Did method 4 on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/e

In Safemode now uninstalling SP3 again. Damn SP3..

Are you going to attempt a re-install?

I dont think so. Unless there's a 100% guarantee this won't happen again. I dont think I'm up for researching it at the minute, this has been wrecking my head for a while now.

Thanks for your help :) I'd 'thank you' but I don't have 25 posts yet.

• Advertisement

I dont think so. Unless there's a 100% guarantee this won't happen again. I dont think I'm up for researching it at the minute, this has been wrecking my head for a while now.

Thanks for your help :) I'd 'thank you' but I don't have 25 posts yet.

No hassle. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if you were not "forced" to download Sp3 at some stage. If I come across anything about it, ill let ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

SP3 can be blocked if needs be. Download and install this blocker from Microsoft. Haven't tried it but thats what it says.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D7C9A07A-5267-4BD6-87D0-E2A72099EDB7&displaylang=en

Advertisement