Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teaching advice

Options
  • 05-10-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Looking for advice on starting career in primary teaching. I'm 30 years old, currently working in an administrative role in higher education, and not finding it all that fulfilling. I have an Honours Arts degree, a Masters and phD. I have B in Honours Leaving Cert Irish. I don't have teaching experience at primary level, but do have some at third level and also teaching in FAS course. Will lack of classroom experience scupper me if I get called for interview? My current job is demanding, and at the moment getting classroom experience isn't feasible. Also, does anyone know when applications can be made for postgrad in Pat's? Also, how does Hibernia compare to Pat's in terms of future employment prospects?
    All advice very welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

brigc wrote: »
    Looking for advice on starting career in primary teaching. I'm 30 years old, currently working in an administrative role in higher education, and not finding it all that fulfilling. I have an Honours Arts degree, a Masters and phD. I have B in Honours Leaving Cert Irish. I don't have teaching experience at primary level, but do have some at third level and also teaching in FAS course. Will lack of classroom experience scupper me if I get called for interview? My current job is demanding, and at the moment getting classroom experience isn't feasible. Also, does anyone know when applications can be made for postgrad in Pat's? Also, how does Hibernia compare to Pat's in terms of future employment prospects?
    All advice very welcome

I'd advise searching here for Hibernia and reading up on all the threads that are similar to your own. Employment prospects are very good regardless of how you've qualified. In order to get into the course though, you'll have to show how you've come to the decision that you want to teach children. For many thats teaching experience, working with children in a GAA or Drama club etc.

Advertisement