Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I have layed the bet?

Options
  • 05-10-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I did a bet on Betfair,Liverpool/Hull/Pompey and Everton

Now the first 3 won and Everton were ahead by 2 but ended up drawing,should I have layed the bet??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In pure maths terms, you should only lock in a profit if you think there is value in doing so - in other words was the price Everton were when they were 2-1 up too short? (I'm assuming you couldn't lay them at 2-0 on the grounds that Liverpool/Hull games were not decided at this stage, if I have the timeline correct).

In practise however other factors come into play, what the bet was worth in terms of your relative worth (would it change your life shortterm/longterm, paid off debts, got you a holiday etc). Or even if Everton had won with a late goal, would you have preferred to avoid the stress etc. Only you can know the answer to these.

Personally I almost never bother locking a profit in unless the conditions in paragraph one are fulfilled - I enjoy letting bets run and experiencing the 'thrill'.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

I used to be old school like Armani but Ive had too many last minute kick in the nuts goals go against me. Id look to lock in at least your stake back so you incur no loss on the bet. Depending on potential winnings Id even look to lay off enough to have an equal amount of winnings coming back regardless of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

if its a sustantial bet i always 'green' up, a win is a win and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

It was a 10 Euro fourfold bet with the win at 339 Euro,kinda new to Betfair,just wanted the experts on here's opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Without knowing the price you could've layed at its hard to say but I'd be one of the more cautious here and regularly lay off bets to ensure some profit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

PAU wrote: »
    It was a 10 Euro fourfold bet with the win at 339 Euro,kinda new to Betfair,just wanted the experts on here's opinion :)

If it was that big a payoff I'd have layed off for at least 100 euro but normally it takes a lost bet like that for people to realise when they should lay and when they should stay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Anyone laying off a bet near the end of a multiple shouldn't have put the selection in the multiple in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Crumbs wrote: »
    Anyone laying off a bet near the end of a multiple shouldn't have put the selection in the multiple in the first place.
    why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

thedini wrote: »
    why not?

I'm guessing he means if someone thought all the bets in his accumulater were value then he'd have no problem letting the bet ride. Technically i agree with him but when you have a nice win for you staring you in the face with one selection left it is very easy to just lock in a profit rather than suffer the disappointment of losing out.

That's presuming that's what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

There is the value aspect, which ArmaniJeanss already touched upon.

But I also meant that if you can't handle a chunk of money rolling over onto your last selection, you should foresee that and not include them. Keep your accumulators to events that are on at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

But events during the games may change your view of the outcome. Why "risk" losing your stake if you don't think it will win? (I realise this may not have been the case here, but the point stands) There is no definitive answer as to whether some one should lay off a bet or let it ride. Each event/bet is independent of the other, and while the bet may have been value when you made it, there may be value in opposing your original selection now)

Advertisement