Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Visa Status

Options
  • 04-10-2008 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm staying in New York at the moment and am coming up to the end of my J1 visa. I'm interning for a really great PR company and they want me to stay on full time. I have a degree in PR and they also interviewed Americans about the job vacancy but got chosen...

H2B visa??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

I am going to give you some disappointing news, I was in the same position as you last year and for your company to sponsor you for the H visa you would have needed to apply before i think march or April of this year. they have a limited amount of new H visas each year and issue them march or April for use the beginning of October. Strange i know.
    An option I was told was if the company you work for has a office in ireland, they can apply for a inter-company transfer, L visa i believe.

The fasted way, not saying to do anything dodgy, is to get married. if you are in that position in a relationship with a US citizen. You will be allowed to stay and just apply for a adjustment of status.

I would recommend your company go to a immigration lawyer and get advice. Another option may be a Business visa, B1, it would mean you could not be paid but your company may be able to work something out with you. And in the time you use that you may be able to apply for a H visa. that would mean you would need to exit and reenter the country, runs a risk of being turned away.

Hope you are successful

Edit: just saw this on rte website http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1009/visa.html looks like 20000 irish allowed into the US. the details of how it will work or how you apply are not there but i would look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

So how did everything work out for you? Were you on a J1 visa like me and then got to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

So how did everything work out for you? Were you on a J1 visa like me and then got to stay?

I met my wife here, a US citizen, we went through the K1 visa and adjustment of status to green card after we got married. It is the easiest way, :rolleyes:, if you can call marriage easy. But a work visa has so many hoops to jump through and with the wait till october for them to issue the visa its very inconvienent if you have not applied at least a year in advance nearly.
    It took us 6 months from first application for the K1 visa to having the green card in my hand. Very fast in terms of visa applications compared to others doing the same thing. I am now working and will hopefully apply for the citizenship in 3 years!

Advertisement