Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving my soft, low voice

Options
  • 04-10-2008 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a really soft, low voice and I’m looking for some advice on changing it – basically becoming louder and clearer. Does anyone know of any exercises I could do to aid me in this? I know the obvious answer is just to “speak louder” but that hurts my throat when I have to keep making an obvious effort.

Thanks!

SF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

OP some people develop deep voices like singer Barry white ,actor Sly Stallone and wrestler Hulk Hogan but a nice softly spoken voice is equally attractive .Maybe your voice will get deeper as you get older naturaly .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

start singing your voice and lungs will get stronger -but to be honest with a low voice people are more likely to respect and listen to you -i know i am to noisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭SamuelFox

latchyco wrote: »
    OP some people develop deep voices like singer Barry white ,actor Sly Stallone and wrestler Hulk Hogan but a nice softly spoken voice is equally attractive .Maybe your voice will get deeper as you get older naturaly .
    Thanks latchyco,

It’s a problem at work – I find in meetings I get talked over, and don’t make the impact I should. I’m 26 and my voice is quiet deep – just low volume!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

SamuelFox wrote: »
    Thanks latchyco,

It’s a problem at work – I find in meetings I get talked over, and don’t make the impact I should. I’m 26 and my voice is quiet deep – just low volume!
    Actually it's probably more commom the discription you give .Somebody called it the 'talking over teacher ' syndrome .Do they not have management assertive courses you could attend were you could learn some skills to help you ? .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I agree with latchyco's last post, maybe try an assessertive course to help you speak up at meetings and be heard. I speak low sometimes and people don't always hear me but I find if I speak assessertively it helps me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

If your throat hurts when you try and use a louder voice, then perhaps it would be useful to seek your GPs/an S&L Therapist's opinion to rule out any organic cause.
    It shouldn't hurt.
    And if you're really trying to use a louder voice, motivation to change is one of the best indicators for adult voice impairments so all the best with it.

Advertisement