Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommmendations Please!!!!!!!

Options
  • 04-10-2008 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm looking for any recommendations that anyone may have towards any good horror/thriller films they have seen. If you could please respond A.S.A.P I would be very grateful.........!!!!!#

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

One of the best you'll ever see, The Thing. There's a thread going about it at the moment but I'd recommend against it if you haven't seen the film. It might ruin some brilliant scenes for you. There's plenty of time to discuss it after you watch it!

Evil Dead 1 and 2 are great fun but you can't take them too seriously.

28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later are unbelievable goodness. Quality film making.

There's always the Alien films.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

+1 for The Thing, one of the best horror films ever made, The Fly being another one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

REC

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

+1 for The Thing and Aliens.

If you haven't seen it I'd recommend watching Ringu. Long time since I've seen it now but I remember it rekindled my interest in the horror Genre..after years and years of variations on the classic 'Halloween' its a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately we now have years an years of 'Ring' style movies. But If you haven't seen them I recommend starting there.

I also liked the first Saw movie.. It was clever without being nonsensically convoluted like its sequels.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Maybe a bit late but i'd also +1 28 days/weeks later.

Also, even though I haven't scene it there's a subtitled film called the orphanage(forgive spelling) that I have at home that looks pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Another +1 to The Thing and +1 to Orfanato, El (The Orphanage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

The Inside/L'Interieur :Fairly decent French Horror

Feast 1 and 2are good if you're into monster movies

The Keep is a good oldie, think it was also one of Mann's1st movies

All the Evil Dead movies if you've never seen em or if you have look at them again

Argento's Demons

Slither for cool alien gore fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Some great horror recommendations have been mentioned so far.

On the thriller side of things...

Memento

Se7en

Tell No One

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Blue Velvet

Fargo

The Machinist

A Bittersweet Life

Public Enemy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

If you haven't seen 'Angel Heart' then give that a whirl. Perfectly filmed pulp-fiction story by Alan Parker. Atmosphere? Ooodles of it.
    One of my favourite movies of all time. I saw it in 1987 and bunked out of school a couple of weeks later to see it a second time. Sh*t. Thats 21 years ago. I'll get me coat....................

A good chiller would be 'The Others'. If you haven't seen that, definitely watch it. If you've surround sound, pump it up. What you dont see but hear would make you jump.

Best horror I've ever seen is 'Alien' but you've probably seen that.

Another, what I call, 'jumper' of a movie is 'Wolf Creek'. Tense as, that one. Contrary to the claim at the beginning, it is not a true story but bloody hell, it was a damn fine film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ils (them) - horror thriller from France

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

serious lack of people recommending [rec]

one of the best horrors I've seen in a long time. Definitely worth a watch if you want your skin to crawl and feel that drip of cold sweat roll down your back
    I still can't stick my head into the attic now without thinking about it, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

L31mr0d wrote: »
    serious lack of people recommending [rec]

+1 !!!!! i suggested it to many people and they just shrugged it off when they heard it was in spanish. Their loss i say.

OP any interest in Asian horror???? there are tonnes of quality movies from korea especially, and a lot of them have been remade in the US but are in general rubbish remakes and tame in contrast to originals. They dont just do good horror though, Inglorious mentioned a couple of my favorites above like mr. vengence and bittersweet life.

Nobody has mentioned "the Mist". I quite enjoyed that one recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jao

I Back REC and Se7en.
    Wolf Creek was terrible though

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I liked Switchblade Romance (I think it's also called High Tension)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I really liked Stephen Kings 'IT'.
    not really a horror fan, but that was good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Testiclees

Thanks everybody for your recommendations there are some good previously seen horrors mentioned, but also there are some interesting titles which i'll look into.. thanks again for the great response..

Advertisement