Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommened good back up storage?

Options
  • 04-10-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello all. I have been getting worried about drives failing, for some unknown reason! So I was looking for some good reliable back up system? I am not looking to cut corners here money wise but it is just for flicks and photos etc. Personal data. I have about 1T of stuff.

Anyone got some good suggestions? I would be a bit of a seagate fan too :)

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

By "1T" I assume you mean 1 Terabyte (TB) of information?

If so I wasn't able to find much Seagate stuff over 1TB but here are some:

http://www.dabs.ie/ProductList.aspx?&NavigationKey=11157&NavigationKey=50410&NavigationKey=50620000&CategorySelectedId=11157

There may be more but this was just a quick search...

HTH.

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

An external HD with the Acronis back up package should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Interesting thread......as I was just about to start something similar myself! :D

Everywhere I look on the web, tests of external HD storage deal mostly with speed, NOT with reliability.

I run three computers, but only one of them (used for editing large photo files) is really backed up regularly.

Since there is always something to be doing on the others, speed is of no real interest to me, only reliability. I won't ever be sitting there twiddling my thumbs.

I copy everything onto two external HDs. When they fill up, I buy two more.

So far, I have never had a failure. I've been using Maxtor, LaCie and Western Digital.

a. Can anyone point me to charts/tests of external HD reliability?

b. Alternatively, can you recommend a make AND model that you would be happy with? 500Gb to 1Tb is plenty.

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Samsung spinpoints are known for their reliability. But afaik there is no such thing as a marketed "reliable" hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Either an external hard disk or a NAS is your easiest solution. I bought this this week. Takes two hard disks and you can RAID them for added protection.
    Another solution (if your motherboard supports it) is to get another internal disk and set up RAID1 mirroring. That's my main protection at home - I have 2*750Gb in RAID1 on my main system. The NAS will take copies of my photos just in case but it's main function is for media streaming to my HTPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

+1 for internal backup . Visit any computer help forum and there'll be a multitude of failed external drive threads . There'll also be quite a few for 'normal' HD failure so Macros42's RAID1 suggestion is best , IMO .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Cheers guys,

On balance, I think that dual external HDs is probably my best bet. I always preserve the two copies of RAW photo files until they have been edited and saved to the external HDs.

The choice of HD is mind boggling!

WD drives pop up a lot on photography forums. Thinking maybe I'll get 2 x 1Tb drives which should last me for about a year.

Of these, which would you choose..........

http://www.dabs.ie/productlist.aspx?&NavigationKey=11157&NavigationKey=4294955056&NavigationKey=47210000&NavigationKey=50473&NavigationKey=50620000&CategorySelectedId=11157&PageMode=1

.....apart from size (1Tb or 2Tb) I can't see any difference.

Thanks.

D.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Being a bit of a luddite...how do you do a back up?
    I reckon I'm overdue one but have never done one and wouldn't even know where to start!

I'm running XP Service Pack 2 and also have an external hard drive which is where I want to send my back up. My main hard drive is sounding very dodgy on startup (so I don't start up any more - just leave it running 24/7)

Advertisement