Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planer to cleanup rough wood?

Options
  • 04-10-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a few lengths of pine which I bought rough cut, I used a hand plane to clean up the boards and they worked out ok after hours of sanding.
    I have some more boards that need to be cleaned up (smoothed & edges squared) and I dont want to spend hours with the hand plane cleaning them up.

Would a hand planer do this for me? If so can you recomend any makes or models? I have considered getting a planer/thicknesser but they're way too pricey for me.
    Thanks,
    Kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

Hi Kieran
    Why dont you try your local joinery shop? I'm sure they wouldnt mind planing the wood for you. You may have to throw them a few bob, but it wouldnt be much. I have done this in the past before I got my own planer/thicknesser, and the lads didnt charge me plus they delivered the wood to my door when they had it done!
    Jac;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

Hi Jac,
    That sounds like a good option, come to think of it I know of a couple of joinery shops in my area. I hadn't thought of that.
    Thanks,
    K
    misschipp wrote: »
    Hi Kieran
    Why dont you try your local joinery shop? I'm sure they wouldnt mind planing the wood for you. You may have to throw them a few bob, but it wouldnt be much. I have done this in the past before I got my own planer/thicknesser, and the lads didnt charge me plus they delivered the wood to my door when they had it done!
    Jac;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, that's by far the best option. Assuming the boards are wider than the hand planer blade, I've found it's quite difficult to get a good surface without any kind of ridge where the hand planer runs overlap each other.

Advertisement