Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unions

Options
  • 03-10-2008 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

I work in construction trade. I am self employed. I joined my trades union a few years ago but after they nearly got me thrown off a job by complaining on my behalf( about things i had agreed with the builder and without my knowledge) i told them i wanted to leave the union.

They kept sending my subscription bills for myself and employees even though i responded at least a dozen times and after the employees eft. I stopped replying and kept getting bills. Last bill was about 3000 euro.

A job has come up with a company i subcontract off now but i have been told it is union only. The union won't accept me until all the money they say is paid. This could result in me being out of work. The company i work with don't want any hassle and are accepting the decision.

Has any one got any ideas what i can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I work in construction trade. I am self employed. I joined my trades union a few years ago but after they nearly got me thrown off a job by complaining on my behalf( about things i had agreed with the builder and without my knowledge) i told them i wanted to leave the union.

They kept sending my subscription bills for myself and employees even though i responded at least a dozen times and after the employees eft. I stopped replying and kept getting bills. Last bill was about 3000 euro.

A job has come up with a company i subcontract off now but i have been told it is union only. The union won't accept me until all the money they say is paid. This could result in me being out of work. The company i work with don't want any hassle and are accepting the decision.

Has any one got any ideas what i can do?

Sounds like a stupid rule to be running into in 2008, "union only"... Could you envisage a situation where you would be told, "non union only", I imagine there would be uproar if someone said that to you??? It sounds to me like a small gimp in a big office making up petty rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It sounds to me like a small gimp in a big office making up petty rules.
    More likely a shop stewards and a set of union members who refuse to deal with outsiders. Unfortunately it still seems to happen and there's not much that you can do about it in this case.

OP, if I were you I'd talk to a solicitor about the €3000. It's essentially reducing your chance of employment. That said I don't have to work in your sector and I've extremely strong dislike of what most unions have become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is there a body that incorporates all unions? I've heard of Irish Congress of Trade Unions (ICTU)

Maybe if you can find a body that oversees this union.
    However, I can't see you getting far with this, would a union investigate and find in favour of an employer against their own members? Doubt it sadly

Advertisement