Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fine wire for mask

Options
  • 03-10-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

hey all, i am getting started at the whole airsoft lark, and just went out and bought a load of stuff to get going. i bought a Sykes mask, and its ok, but i want to make my own mask. the sculpty and mouldy of the mask will be easy, but i want to source a wire mesh similar to the wire used in the eyepieces of some masks, so i dont have to use polycarbonate. so, to my question. does anyone know of where i could locate such wire mesh?
    all suggestions welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Handiest thing is to go to a good music or audio parts store and get fine speaker grille. You'll likely need a sheetmetal snips to cut it though, it can very strong depending on the grade you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

great plan!!! i will look into that. :) thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

NakedDex wrote: »
    Handiest thing is to go to a good music or audio parts store and get fine speaker grille. You'll likely need a sheetmetal snips to cut it though, it can very strong depending on the grade you get.

I still haven't gotten around to cutting my grille up, I got it from Maplins. But speaker grilles are very strong and easily up to it. I'd recommend blasting a few bbs at it from up close to test it before you start cutting though, and after of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

try B&Q. they have some lovely meche and plenty of different shapes and sizes.,

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

I made my own from a fireguard and ski goggles, I was frustrated with fogging goggles, they can take a reasonably close range burst from a 1.3j aeg ....ahem i mean 1j..... yeah that was it 1j :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jimbobak47 wrote: »
    I made my own from a fireguard and ski goggles, I was frustrated with fogging goggles, they can take a reasonably close range burst from a 1.3j aeg ....ahem i mean 1j..... yeah that was it 1j :P

That is exactly what is wrong with airsoft in Ireland right now. Your AEG is illegal, you're putting the whole sport at risk and you don't care.

Take a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Aldi has some mesh coming in, for pizza trays or something, it stands up to over 200 degrees so a bb should be ok I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭plastic_axe

how maliable is the speaker grille?
    i was thinking over the last couple of days that if i could make a cover for my glasses that would seal the eye and cover the lens id be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Has anyone tried using a fencing mask?

You can pick them up for a reasonable price.

just after looking about for one. they do not seem to be that cheap. averaging at over 50 quid anyway. but they do look like a good idea. no problem with ventilation or vision restriction. and i cannot find an irish seller, so no way to go take a look at one. bummer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

o1s1n wrote: »
    That is exactly what is wrong with airsoft in Ireland right now. Your AEG is illegal, you're putting the whole sport at risk and you don't care.

Take a week off.

His AEG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Lukekul wrote: »
    Aldi has some mesh coming in, for pizza trays or something, it stands up to over 200 degrees so a bb should be ok I'd imagine.

I don't think the temperature it can withstand is related to how it would fare against a few well aimed BB's. Personally, if someone handed me goggles made of a pizza tray to use during a game I would rather sit in the safe zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

His AEG?

Oh right I forgot, I'm meant to be a mind reader.

Did he mention the AEG was someone elses? No he did not. Therefore from my point of view and everyone elses (Including the DOJ) it was his.

Who actually owned the AEG is irrelevant. It's still illegal and he was posting about it in a flippant way. It makes it look like he doesn't care about breaking the law.

Which from the amount of thanks on my post, seems like it was rather obvious to the masses.

If you wish to continue comment on this, please take it to pm or the appropriate forum.

i got some speaker grill in maplin. it is pretty chunky. will work though, but will limit zision a bit (like every wire i suppose) the grills are only a couple of euro each. experimenting with it now. not sure if i will get on with the vision loss though. might have to stick with plastic lenses. bummer.

Advertisement