Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord selling- tenants go to hell??

Options
  • 03-10-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

So forgive my ignorance as I still live at home so have no direct knowledge of rental agreements etc. I'm not sure how abstract a situation is, it could be a relatively common occurance.

A Polish workmate is renting and has been for the last 2 years. Last year there was talk about the house being for sale but nothing came of it. He signed a third lease about 3 months ago and his landlord announced yesterday that the house is for sale. He warned him that there would be several occasions when prospective purchasers will come to view.

He is happy to leave now but he is worried about his deposit. His landlord is a total me-feiner by the sound of things and it seems to me that the landlord is breaking terms of the lease but would be happy to keep my friend's deposit. by making him break the lease early.

The lease states that he is entitled to "the enjoyment of the property" and it mentions that in the last month of the lease, the tenant is obliged to allow prospective purchasers to view but there is no mention of how either the landlord or the tenant can end the lease early.

It sounds like the landlord is trying to have his cake and eat it because he wants the house to be rented right up the moment it sells I think. However, viewing is really out of the question because he has a 5 month old and his wife is at home every day at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

Talk to Threshold (www.threshold.ie) to get the letter of the law.

With no sale clause in the lease the landlord cannot give notice to the tenant if they are selling, the prospective buyer must honour the lease. I suspect that the tenant may not have to facilitate viewings if this is not specifically mentioned in the lease but may stand corrected.

Advertisement