Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your opinions on this teaching related doctorate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I looked into these a year or two ago.

The general feeling was they there was a certain element of snobbery between PhD holders and these professional doctorates.

Here's two more for you, a little closer to home:

Sheffield

Trinity

The good thing about the Sheffield one is that the classes are held in Dublin, as are the Trinity ones, I am told. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

What exactly is the difference between a PhD and a professional doctorate though?

I believe it is the fact that a professional doctorate contains a taught element, and is aimed at a target audience (i.e. a particular profession, such as education), as opposed to a PhD which is pretty much make it up as you go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I believe it is the fact that a professional doctorate contains a taught element, and is aimed at a target audience (i.e. a particular profession, such as education), as opposed to a PhD which is pretty much make it up as you go along.

Ah I get ya now. In terms of what I want, the EdD might suit me better. I'd like to go down the route of working in education strategy at EU level maybe or something like that. I need to spend a good few years learning my trade too though so doing the EdD while still in "discovery" mode might be good for me to do. Not to mention the earlier I get the doctorate the earlier I get the extra allowance in my wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

So would someone with an EdD not be able to get a position as a lecturer in a university like someone with a PhD would?

• Advertisement

sitstill wrote: »
    So would someone with an EdD not be able to get a position as a lecturer in a university like someone with a PhD would?

That seems to be the big question.

Technically, they are both Level 10 awards, so are supposed to be identical. When I worked at a certain Institute of Technology, I attended a talk given by a PhD holder about pursuing a PhD. He basically said purists don't hold them in the same regard as traditional PhDs.

So, given that interviewing panels in Universities would be more "Old School", I would imagine they would not be looked upon as favourably as "normal" PhDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

My take on these is that the research element of a professional doctorate is not at the same level as a PhD. I would see it as an M.Litt tarted up with some course work. I think the motive behind offering these qualifications is to bring in big fees from professionals, who are an untapped source of income in many university departments. Business schools make a fortune offering MBAs, so education departments will also want to get in on the action.

If you're looking for an academic job, this qualification is no match for a PhD. If you have a job, however, it might benefit your career in some way. An awful lot of work goes into some M.Litts and I think they're actually undervalued as a degree. It's not a bad idea repackaging them as something more useful.

Advertisement