Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell desktop - xps or vostro?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I need some help here cos im lost.

Im trying to get myself a new desktop to act as my home entertainment system ( will be hooked up to my newly purchased 40" lcd tv ), so it will basically be my dvd/download ( HD capable hopefully ) player, sound system, computer and semi game system ( not a big gamer ). Hopefully with home cinema system wired around my room for sound.

I had provisionally decided on an a xps 420 as below but have noticed a vostro which i can configure with what look like similar specs.. This is where im confused. Im not that technicaly minded so thats why i need someone to have a look.

XPS: €1409.02

-PREMIUM Chassis - Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor
    Q9400 (2.66Ghz, 1333Mhz FSB, 6MB L2 cache)
    -Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate SP1
    -1Yr XPS Premium Warranty Support
    -Microsoft® Works 9 - English
    -Display Not Included
    -750GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive with
    16MB DataBurst™ cache
    -4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
    -Graphics 1GB ATI Radeon 3870 X2 graphics card
    -16x DVD+/-RW & 48x CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
    -Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard
    -Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse
    -Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI Soundcard
    -19-in-1 Bluetooth Media Card Reader
    D10X406

OR

Vostro: €1009 ( €829 without display or €689 with Q9400/no display )

-Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9450
    (2.66GHz, 1333MHz, 12MB cache)
    -Genuine Windows Vista® Business SP1
    -Microsoft® Works 9.0
    -22in E228WFP WIDESCREEN UK/Irish (maybe)
    (1680 x 1050) TCO99 DVI-D
    -500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
    -4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
    -512MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800GT graphics card
    -16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    -Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard
    -Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse
    -Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADV HD software
    -19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    D104124

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two apart from the price ;). would i be better to just spend the extra or does the vostro do what i need, also from the paragraph below when looking to the future does one have limitations that the other doesn't with regards upgrading etc.

A few other details worth a mention, i would be looking to build on the computer a bit at a later date ie upgrade storage, ram due to vista taking one of my four gb, maybe get a blu ray drive when the prices get a bit better and small stuff like that.

As you can see my budget just about makes the €1400 mark( for the xps ) but any savings would be handy, also i put up both prices without coupon discounts or epp site discount cause i can worry about that myself later.

And one last thing if im going the total wrong route and someone knows of a better system in this range even by a different manufacturer please feel free to suggest alternatives.

Hoping to get my 'entertainment' system set up within the next week or two so any help will be greatly apprieciated.
    cheers.
    gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Personally if I was in the lucky position of having up to €1400 to spend on a PC, I would definitely be considering a self-build. With that kind of money you'll end up with a better machine if you build it yourself imo. If you did want to go that way, a good place to start would be the Building & Upgrading forum, where there's a lot of knowledgeable folk in there who should be able to guide you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Gypo wrote: »
    Personally if I was in the lucky position of having up to €1400 to spend on a PC, I would definitely be considering a self-build. With that kind of money you'll end up with a better machine if you build it yourself imo. If you did want to go that way, a good place to start would be the Building & Upgrading forum, where there's a lot of knowledgeable folk in there who should be able to guide you in the right direction.

hey gypo, yeah i suppose its worth considering and im sure there's loads of info on that thread. I would be a bit unsure of my own capabilities in doin it though lol.. but cheers i'l defo think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

I would be a bit unsure of my own capabilities

As would I! :D Dunno bout you, but I'd find it very interesting researching the various build components and there would definitely be more satisfaction in the final result than if you buy either of the Dells.

Gypo wrote: »
    As would I! :D Dunno bout you, but I'd find it very interesting researching the various build components and there would definitely be more satisfaction in the final result than if you buy either of the Dells.

have to say it is quite interesting, if i decide to buy one of the dells im thinkin a build may be something i could defo get into later on.. that would mean i would have time to do the research etc whereas im lookin at gettin this comp within the next two weeks..

dunno if i want to end up with a pile of parts and no working system in two weeks time lol

any ideas anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Id go for the vostro.. The xps is good.. but not €400 extra better..

Advertisement