Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC4 Closed Railway Lines Night

Options
  • 02-10-2008 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Starting at 8 pm with Hindsight - Beeching then Railway Walks, then Going off the rails with Ian Hislop, again about Beeching. Finally Great Railway Journeys - Victoria Wood in North England/Scotland

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Looks quite interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

karlr42 wrote: »
    Looks quite interesting.

These were excelent programmes and I think very balanced. The hour long interview with Beeching from the 1970's was absolutely facinating. Far from the orge he is potrayed as being by the notepad, fly half opened and lemon curd sandwich brigade, he perhaps only said one seriously dopey statement about electrifaction should of not happened and his rationale for it was stupid hyperbole. But he made a lot of sense for the most part and came across as a shwed and brilliant mind.

The Ian Hislop progreamme was very enjoyable too and I do not think of anything he stated which I disagree with. You can see how the trainspotters get lost in their own magical thinking/victim complexes which take a grain of truth and turn into a full blown false history.

The reality is that truth in terms of railways in Ireland today is between the two extremes of the Guckians and the Barrett's. Both represent danger for the railways. That's is the lesson from Beeching legacy in the UK. Be VERY VERY Careful and measured when it comes to either opening or closing a railway line. Great TV.

Advertisement