Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre pay phones/calling home

Options
  • 02-10-2008 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hell all, i arrived in Melbourne a few days ago, great city btw! anyway i'm going to be in oz a month and i thought that i would get a sim card to call home and stuff. Can anyone offer any advice on what would be the cheapest option? i was looking at the vodafone caps which looks great with loads of credit but then the rates are pretty expensive. Or is it pretty stupid to even try and get a phone for that lenght of time?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

hebejebees wrote: »
    Hell all, i arrived in Melbourne a few days ago, great city btw! anyway i'm going to be in oz a month and i thought that i would get a sim card to call home and stuff. Can anyone offer any advice on what would be the cheapest option? i was looking at the vodafone caps which looks great with loads of credit but then the rates are pretty expensive. Or is it pretty stupid to even try and get a phone for that lenght of time?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

I wouldnt bother getting a phone but ill tell you anyway. Vodafone have a thing where if you buy credit that costs $29 (jumbo-saver i think its called) you get $130 credit.

Lasts forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I got a cap phone on contract with 3 when I got here, only because I'm a citizen though. They won't give one to somebody on a Visa though as the contracts are minimum 24 months.

The top ups are pretty good and give you some international minutes afaik. Other option would be to get one of those international calling cards and use it from a pay phone. They work out pretty cheap I think ahd are probably the best option if you're only gonna be here a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

If you buy a $29 cap with Vodafone you get a free SIM card. This gives you something like $130 credit (crazy system!). Bring your passport. There's a Vodafone store at the Junction of Collins and Swanston if your in the CBD. Or in the Melbourne central shopping centre.

TBH you should also get a Daybreak card from a newsagent. Think you can get one for $10. If you call home on your SIM you'll go through your $130 pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Lasts forever!

Not really. Caps last for a month. Then you lose whatever credit you don't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

buy a international card, go to a pay phone, dial the local melbourne number (rather than the free) will cost you 20/30c per call (not minute) then ring home (really cheap for landline, not so cheap for mobile)

or as the lads said the caps are cheap, and the $49 one comes with 20minutes international calls (can ring a mobile)

• Advertisement
Advertisement