Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work and house problems

Options
  • 02-10-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi guys, i usually dont post this kind of stuff but i need some opinions so i guess this is a good place to come to!

Its gonna be a long one, sorry :)

Okay, Firstly.. One of the guys living in my apartment has just decided to bail, he doesnt care about losing his deposit he said the landlord can keep it for all he cares. I was just going to pay his €300 rent for the month along with my €300 until we found a new person.. which i thought shouldnt be too hard with a full month to find them..

Okay so now i need to explain my work-life. I've been working full-time in a high street music store on a permanent full-time contract for the past 2 years. At the start of august i asked my manager if i could go part-time so i could return to college and we agreed on a set 19-hour week for me to do that wouldnt clash with college. Within the last two weeks he has been barely been giving me 15 hours, which he did to a girl from work before (hoping she would quit) and to which i feel he has now been doing to me..

So that brings me to the next part. The day after my housemate told me he was moving out was my due payday (i get paid monthly). I was due to be paid at the very least of €1000 because I still had some full-time wages to collect which was more than enough to cover my rent and the other €300 rent.

So, when i log online to check how much was put into my account i realise from the company i work a depoist of €450 has only been paid. It turns out he "accidently" put my hours in wrong, Which he has done to people so much..

So to try shorten things a bit more.. what has happened now is, I cant afford my rent, I have to move back home which means i cant travel into work anymore as it is too far away, which means i also wont be able to afford college without a steady income all because of this "mistake". While i am still angry with my housemate for ditching me, it wouldnt have been a problem if my manager hadnt screwed things up on me like he always does. So now i am about to seek legal advise on what to do. But first i wanted other peoples opinions.

Also, i have been discriminated against by my manager before. He once tried to spread rumours at work about me and turn people agaisnt me. Which i confronted him about and also have a recording of him admitting this too. And i have a few people from my workplace willing to come forward and tell the truth about his negligence and discrimination in the workplace.

Anyway. Sorry for the very long post. Hope someone can help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

dan759 wrote: »
    Hi guys, i usually dont post this kind of stuff but i need some opinions so i guess this is a good place to come to!

Its gonna be a long one, sorry :)

Okay, Firstly.. One of the guys living in my apartment has just decided to bail, he doesnt care about losing his deposit he said the landlord can keep it for all he cares. I was just going to pay his €300 rent for the month along with my €300 until we found a new person.. which i thought shouldnt be too hard with a full month to find them..

Okay so now i need to explain my work-life. I've been working full-time in a high street music store on a permanent full-time contract for the past 2 years. At the start of august i asked my manager if i could go part-time so i could return to college and we agreed on a set 19-hour week for me to do that wouldnt clash with college. Within the last two weeks he has been barely been giving me 15 hours, which he did to a girl from work before (hoping she would quit) and to which i feel he has now been doing to me..

So that brings me to the next part. The day after my housemate told me he was moving out was my due payday (i get paid monthly). I was due to be paid at the very least of €1000 because I still had some full-time wages to collect which was more than enough to cover my rent and the other €300 rent.

So, when i log online to check how much was put into my account i realise from the company i work a depoist of €450 has only been paid. It turns out he "accidently" put my hours in wrong, Which he has done to people so much..

So to try shorten things a bit more.. what has happened now is, I cant afford my rent, I have to move back home which means i cant travel into work anymore as it is too far away, which means i also wont be able to afford college without a steady income all because of this "mistake". While i am still angry with my housemate for ditching me, it wouldnt have been a problem if my manager hadnt screwed things up on me like he always does. So now i am about to seek legal advise on what to do. But first i wanted other peoples opinions.

Also, i have been discriminated against by my manager before. He once tried to spread rumours at work about me and turn people agaisnt me. Which i confronted him about and also have a recording of him admitting this too. And i have a few people from my workplace willing to come forward and tell the truth about his negligence and discrimination in the workplace.

Anyway. Sorry for the very long post. Hope someone can help me.

Sounds like the roommate bit isn't an issue. He left, giving a months rent in lieu of notice.

The workplace, though is different. You were expecting 1000, you got 450. Surely you knew how many hours you worked and how much you were getting paid? It's up to you to know how much money you have coming in. Unless, of course, he shourtchanged you, in whcih case written warning of legal action, followed by leagl action if nothing happens.

The issue of workplace bullying (which it is) should NOT be tolerated. It almost sounds like he's trying to make work unbearable until you jump (which is constructive dismissal, and a case for the labour court)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Oh okay. Eh about the housemate, he never actually paid his part of the deposit, it was always "on its way" if you get what i mean. There was a guy living here before him that was due his deposit back when he moved out but the new guy always said "I'll get it to you soon"

Anyway, back to work. Payroll goes in on the 15th of every month. The manager is supposed to sit there with the Rotas and input our hours. which clearly showed how many hours i worked. Its not really something that can be done accidently. Also, now they are saying i wont get the money owed to me until the next month (nov 1st) which is too late for me and by which stage i will have lost my apartment etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I cannot see how any of this is bullying.

1. Your employer gave you slightly less hours than you expected. Do you have a contract saying you will now get 19 hours per week? My first thought is he didn't have enough part-time hours for you. That can happen.

2. Payroll messed up your wages. Give them a ring.

Not every mistake or issue is bullying. I think seeking legal advice is totally OTT.

The flatmate issue is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm with AARRRGH on this one. Reading through the rant above I don't see any reference to the OP talking to their manager about their hours or trying to talk to HR about getting their payroll sorted out asap. Regardless of what the manager is actually doing all the suggestions are circumstantial and largely unprovable.

Also, isn't getting a temporary bank overdraft the solution to an underpayment, not quitting your job and moving home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement