Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools Aptitude Tests

Options
  • 01-10-2008 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,
    A friend recently told me that primary schools have been doing aptitude tests?
    Can anyone confirm that this is true or would it depend on the school?
    And if they all do.. are parents entitled to know the outcome of these test what with the freedom of information act?
    Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

Are you talking about the Micra & Sigma tests? They are usually done in First & Second class and test the childrens abilities in Maths & English. They are done towards the end of the year. I'm sure if your friend wanted a copy they could organise it with the principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

hayser wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Micra & Sigma tests? They are usually done in First & Second class and test the childrens abilities in Maths & English.
    They're done in all classes 1st-6th.
    hayser wrote: »
    They are done towards the end of the year.
    Some schools I know do it in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    They're done in all classes 1st-6th.

Some schools I know do it in September.

The tests used are standardised tests to determine a childs ability and if additional assistance is required for the child.

It will be compulsory to do the tests at the end of first class / beginning of second class and again at the end of fourth class / beginning of fifth class. Child are to be tested twice in primary school. That's the reason some schools do them before the summer & others do them in the autumn - they have a choice.

Once these tests are done in these classes it will be compulsory to inform the parents orally (usually at the Parent Teacher meeting) and in writing (usually on the end of year home report card) of the results and implications.

Saying that most schools test all classes each year - you are entitled to know the scores and the Learning Support teacher in the majority of schools would be more than willing to explain the scores to you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Micra T tests English, Sigma T tests maths, both were produced by Mary Immaculate college of education ,similar standardised tests , the Drumcondra Reading and Maths tests are also used.

Test results are in percentiles or in STEN, so if a child scored on the 50th percentile it means that they are as good as 50% of children in Ireland of that age/class group. STEN bands are most often used to send results home if a child score sten 6, it would be like 6/10.

For a child to qualify for learning support ,they are supposed to score under the 10th percentile, or some schools say sten 3.

see link below

http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/STen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

As a primary school teacher, I just wish to reiterate & add to some of the points already made:

Standardised testing takes the form of MIST tests for Infants & either Drumcondra English & Maths, or Micra T [English] and Sigma T [Maths]. Generally it is up to the teacher or school policy to decide on which ones to use, and Drum English may be used with Sigma T etc.

Scores are bases on percentiles [which are NOT the same as percentages] and STEN scores. If a child scored on the 59th percentile, this would mean that there are 41% of children who scored HIGHER on the same test. The average sten is a sten of 5,and anything above this indicates above average.

There are 2 versions of the tests available; one for the autumn, and one for the summer. Some schools distribute both, some choose to only do one [generally the one at the end of the year].

The scores and percentiles are usually of 2 versions also: there are class based scores and age based scores. This is to take into account the fact that some children may be much younger/older than the "average" age for that particular class group. It is more acceptable to refer to AGE based scores as the ability level of the class gives little/no indication of the true ability of the pupil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

What would it mean if your child scored in the 99th percentile?
    Should we take this furhter - i.e. investigate other advanced education?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Centre for Talented Youth Ireland in Gifted Education
    Interested from getting applications from people in the top 5%
    http://www.giftedkids.ie/assessment.html

Loads of info on the site, I've seen it mentioned a few times
    Sure it might go no further but might be something there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

BraveDonut wrote: »
    What would it mean if your child scored in the 99th percentile?
    Should we take this furhter - i.e. investigate other advanced education?
    A child may score on the 99th percentile and not be exceptional,just very very very good, however I'd suggest further investigation. An educational assessment will cost approx €500, a cheaper -though less detailed
    -idea would be to put the child foward for a ctyi assessment test.
    Exceptionally able children do not qualify for any extra help
    despite being classed as special needs/additional needs under the now deferred EPSEN act.

Likewise a child may not score on the 99th and still be exceptionally able. Check out www.giftedkids.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

A child may score on the 99th percentile and not be exceptional,just very very very good, however I'd suggest further investigation. An educational assessment will cost approx €500, a cheaper -though less detailed
    -idea would be to put the child foward for a ctyi assessment test.
    Exceptionally able children do not qualify for any extra help
    despite being classed as special needs/additional needs under the now deferred EPSEN act.

Likewise a child may not score on the 99th and still be exceptionally able. Check out www.giftedkids.ie

Thought the CTYI was one of the dirty dozen cuts by the Minister

Thought the CTYI was one of the dirty dozen cuts by the Minister
    CTYI grant WAS cut,again, will hit those who are short of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

CTYI grant WAS cut,again, will hit those who are short of money

Typical if your parents have money you will succeed. So much for all children having an equal chance :mad::mad:

Advertisement