Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map of Ireland's mountains

Options
  • 01-10-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know where I can get a decent map of the Mountains of Ireland (either online or to buy). Just looking for something with the Mountain Ranges..

Thanks for any help,
    Paul.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i know you can buy panoramic maps of seperate mountains in places like outdooor adventure store if thats any use

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You could try www.mountainviews.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What do you want the map for? Is it for display purposes only? I've also seen 3-D relief maps of the Wicklow Mountains and some other of the main ranges for sale in some of the outdoor stores, but not of all of Ireland that I can recall. It'd be a nice thing to have though as a kind of overview of where all the ranges are, especially some of the smaller and less well known ones.

Found this .. not very pretty, but it gives an overview. http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/maps/island_physical.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Alun,

Looking ideally for something I can hang up with an overview of the mountain ranges.. I've set myself a challenge to visit the high points in each county so have butchered a map to highlight each one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

There's a book about a guy who did that, I have it somewhere about the house so I'll post back when I find it. I do remember he named all the peaks, oddly there were fewer then 32 as some counties shared a peak.

• Advertisement

paulocon wrote: »
    Alun,

Looking ideally for something I can hang up with an overview of the mountain ranges.. I've set myself a challenge to visit the high points in each county so have butchered a map to highlight each one!
    It should be an easy enough matter to get hold of GPS coords for each of the peaks in question and put those onto a Google maps map, preferably in "Terrain" view and somehow export and stitch together the images to make a bigger map to print out. Otherwise, the only thing I can suggest is to try visiting some of the touristy shops, or the main tourist office in Dublin, they might have a wall map like that.

Good luck with your challenge, by the way! I'm guessing the highest points in some counties won't exactly be a challenge though, at least in terms of height, but maybe in terms of access.

EDIT: Just found this ... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Topography_Ireland.jpg is that any good? You could probably get it printed up as a poster sized print, and add the peaks yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

What you're looking for is "The Fir Tree Aerial Map of Ireland".

Just what you need.

I know they have them in the Great Outdoors, 53 Degrees (I think) and definately in the Glenmalure Lodge as I was looking at it there yesterday.

Ah, yes, that's the one! I've seen the Wicklow Mountains one (also at the Glenmalure Lodge!) but didn't know there was a whole series of them, inlcuing an all Ireland one.

loobylou wrote: »
    There's a book about a guy who did that, I have it somewhere about the house so I'll post back when I find it. I do remember he named all the peaks, oddly there were fewer then 32 as some counties shared a peak.

Loobylou... please do, would absolutely love to read that. As you say, some counties share the same peak (e.g. Galtymore for Limerick/Tipp). I got hold of a standard road-map and have marked them all on that - my wife thinks I've lost my reason altogether.

EDIT: Found the name of the book I think... is it The Height of Nonsense by Paul Clements? Looks interesting..

Done up a list and put it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50277096@N00/sets/72157607699701403/

Alun and Gil_Dub, thanks for the tips/links.. I'll be buying the Fir Tree Map...

paulocon wrote: »
    Interesting .. I've done 8 of those already, and to be frank, haven't even heard of the rest :)

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Interesting .. I've done 8 of those already, and to be frank, haven't even heard of the rest :)

Alun.. yeah, some there that wouldn't be too well know - the lower ones provide a chance to bring along the kids so that keeps everyone happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I've done most of those I like the idea of doing every coubnty though.

ok,

put together some placemarks on Google Earth for the county high-points which I have exported to Google maps. Thanks to MountainViews.ie for the info.. You can see the map here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112926615149412564809.000458ab91054405faa13

I am missing the following so if anyone can give me a placemark for these, I'd really appreciate it:

Kildare -Cupidstown Hill
    Longford -Corn Hill
    Monaghan - Slieve Beagh East
    Roscommon - Corrie Mountain
    Westmeath -Mullaghmeen

Cheers,
    Paul

Just found this ... http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=12225 It's got all of them there.

Alun wrote: »
    Just found this ... http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=12225 It's got all of them there.

Fair play, thanks for that - I've updated my map with those co-ordinates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Sorry I never got back Paulocon, had a good lok around the house and could'nt find it. Thats it all right, The Height of Nonsense, how did you find it. I googled what I remembered with no result and also asked in my local bookshop but without the name or author they could'nt help me.
    Anyway, enjoy the read and the trip.

loobylou wrote: »
    Sorry I never got back Paulocon, had a good lok around the house and could'nt find it. Thats it all right, The Height of Nonsense, how did you find it. I googled what I remembered with no result and also asked in my local bookshop but without the name or author they could'nt help me.
    Anyway, enjoy the read and the trip.

Found it with a combination of a bit of Googling and the help of the biblography on www.mountainviews.ie - read the reviews and seems to be a good read so have put an order in with the local bookstore - might be useful when trying to locate some of the less know High Points..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Best of Luck with the challenge. I know a group over Galway way are doing it next year. A friend of mine is a member of that hill walking club. So it seems it's not that unique a notion after all. I don't suppose anyone could recommend a good steep climb in/near the midlands, in prep for Croagh Patrick on the 18th??? I've done a good few of the slieve bloom walks, but haven't really come across anything of a similiar challenge to CP. Any ideas? Sorry for hijacking the thread..... :rolleyes:

Advertisement