Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train drivers using mobile phones?

Options
  • 01-10-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if Irish Rail has a policy on drivers using mobile phones, I noticed a DART driver on his mobile today as the train was approaching the station, surely abit dodgy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Sometimes its neccesery to use your phone for communications with ctc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Surely they have their own inbuilt phones/communicators in the carriage?

Was it his own personal mobile?

Not sure about in Ireland but in many countries a GSM based system is used for Driver - Controller communications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I couldnt see it as an issue, Its not as if he is going to swerve out in front of something. If it was a bus driver i'd be worried.

I couldnt see it as an issue, Its not as if he is going to swerve out in front of something. If it was a bus driver i'd be worried.
    Don't be too sure:
    LA rail crash driver was texting
    A Los Angeles train driver sent a text message on his mobile phone 22 seconds before his train crashed, killing 25 people, investigators say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

For DARTs anyway they are fitted ATP, if a driver comes up to a red signal too fast for the systems liking it just jams on regardless. And the system for communicationg with CTC involves a texting and phone system that sometimes must be used together for clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

That particular stretch of track is deadly and an accident waiting to happen, it's a single line shared by both diesel commuter and heavy freight traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Run_to_da_hills

it was a single track, true, but if you eliminated single track running you'd close a heck of a lot of North American commuter rail, and there isn't that much to start with compared to Europe.

Unfortunately, given that most of the rail is owned by the freight hauliers, the commuter operators just have to squeeze in and often must wait for a freight to pass because they have lower priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Well that is exactly what I saw yesterday evening on the Foxford Road coming out from Ballina. A bus driver with a mobile chatting away.

When are people ever going to learn. We will wait now till an accident happens before something is done about this. Anyone who is driving a bus or train should be barred from using mobiles when driving. Its ok for them to use it if stopped but not while the train or bus is in motion.

Advertisement