Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Computer / HRM

Options
  • 01-10-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,
    to break the boredom while using the turbo trainer I'd like to buy a (rear wheel) computer and possible a Heart rate monitor I'd appreciate any first hand recommendations - I just want the Trip & speed on computer nothing too fancy/expensive. I've about €100 -150 to spend - Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would get a Garmin so you can see where you've been :D Seriously though, Garmin is my only personal experience with a HRM but I like Cateye computers a lot (very reliable) and this one looks good for €69.50, wireless speed and heart rate so you can fit it to the back wheel. Note you can get a back wheel kit for most computers including the entry-level Cateyes, it costs around £10.

For €100-150 if you were focusing on the HRM you would get a very decent Polar, well beyond the entry-level - something like the Polar CS200 which I believe does logging and data transfer to a PC (so you can see what you did at any time during your workout.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

blorg wrote: »
    I would get a Garmin so you can see where you've been :D Seriously though, Garmin is my only personal experience with a HRM but I like Cateye computers a lot (very reliable) and this one looks good for €69.50, wireless speed and heart rate so you can fit it to the back wheel. Note you can get a back wheel kit for most computers including the entry-level Cateyes, it costs around £10.

For €100-150 if you were focusing on the HRM you would get a very decent Polar, well beyond the entry-level - something like the Polar CS200 which I believe does logging and data transfer to a PC (so you can see what you did at any time during your workout.)

I use the Polar CS200 CAD, which has a cadence sensor as well as all the functions of the CS200, it does indeed do logging and data transfer, and you can set yourself training programmes to follow on https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/. Havent really used the HRM much though, it was scaring me, especially on climbs, so I stopped using it

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

if you keep an eye on ebay you probably will get one for a very good price from USA.......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Most cycling computers, such as the Polar and the Cateye use a front wheel sensor. Relatively few employ a rear wheel one, although I think the Garmin does, but you'd have to check that. Getting a Garmin though just for indoor training is a bit of overkill since it's main selling point is that its a GPS device.

Having said that, speed and distance are pretty useless metrics for indoor training. What matters is time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

SRM or powertap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭BaBiT

Yep, the Polar is a front wheel sensor and the Garmin is rear wheel....I use a Polar on a bike I have set up on a home trainer cos I don't need to know what 'virtual speed and distance' I've done and it logs everything else I need, HR/Cad/Time...Its a CS200CAD which I believe is quite low in price now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

+1 on the CS200. I haven't got a chance to use it properly, but the heart rate monitor is pretty cool if you set your limits correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I too have been looking for a computer that works on the back wheel for when I'm on the trainer. The polar stuff is a bit overkill (and expensive) as all i want is a speedo effectively. I have a separate HR monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EH

I just picked up a cateye strada cadence. The sensor goes on the rear wheel, I presume this is because it was the easiest way to accommodate both the speed and cadence sensors. I got it for £24.99 with free delivery from here

Advertisement