Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch & NTL

Options
  • 01-10-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I've moved from Eircom to UPC for BB and Phone but have not advised Phonewatch. The alarm panel is now showing line fault which is correct as the line is dead. If I connect the phone line from the cable modem to the alarm panel will Phonewatch be any the wiser? I ported my number so that shouldn't raise any questions?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I seriously doubt it, but there may be a bit of kit that either Koolkid or Jnealon could advise on, maybe a PM to them if they dont see this will get you an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I don't think it's going to be that straight forward. If you can use your standard eircom phone with the ntl modem then it will work. On the other hand if you are now using an IP phone you will need an ATA to enable you to connect the alarm panel to the modem.
    What make of alarm system have you installed. Is it a HKC or one of the wireless Simon systems

Phonewatch should have tried to contact you since the central station has not received a signal from your alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 36 amurray32

Thanks for the reply. Don't know the brand of alarm as it's all Phonewatch badged but its about 7 years old. I have connected standard analogue phones to the UPC modem and they work fine and show caller ID both inwards and outwards. Will give it a go later, set off the alarm and see if I get a call!
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

on the modem there should be an rg11 connection for a pstn line. from what i remember phonwatch will require that the line in to the alarm panel usually wired in the blue pair be connected there and the return from the alarm panel usually wired in the orange pair the terminates into a small phone point giving you somehwere to plug in your phone or connect the other pstn extensions in the house. this is the way phonewatch used to to the isdn connections to their alarm panels and im fairly sure this is how they do it with the ntl stuff.
    the purpose of this is to give the alarm panel as much line priority over the rest of the lines in the house.

as far as i know phone watch do not carry out line tests so they can not detect a line fault or would have any indication if one was present

Well arrived home from work and went to play, snipped the cable from the Eircom line comming into the house, there was a cable off this going to the alarm. I re-connected this to a cable I ran from the UPC cable modem, the line fault vannished from the alarm display. I set off the alarm and what do you know I got a call from Phonewatch!
    So why is it then that Phonewatch state that they will not interface with NTL/UPC?
    Anyway I'm happy, nothing like proving a point and saving the cost of getting Phonewatch out to install a GSM dialer. Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

amurray32 wrote: »
    So why is it then that Phonewatch state that they will not interface with NTL/UPC?

They probably don't want the hassle in supporting it, as most customers wouldn't have a clue. Either that or they are trying to make money selling/installing a GSM dialler....

Glad it work so well and simply for you. Also that you can ditch your land line, you won't believe how much you'll save using VOIP...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

I tried using NTL tonight to connect the eircom phonewatch, i removed the 2 eircom wires that come into the house and replaced them with 2 wires that i made up from a phone lead that i connected to the back of the NTL box. What ya know, eircom phone watch rang when i set of the alarm, but the phones won't work properly. I get the voice of the phone watch alarm saying system disarm when i try to ring someone on the phone. yes, it sounds like crossed wires. Its def something simple, but what am i looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

from what i remember phonwatch will require that the line in to the alarm panel usually wired in the blue pair be connected there and the return from the alarm panel usually wired in the orange pair the terminates into a small phone point giving you somehwere to plug in your phone or connect the other pstn extensions in the house. this is the way phonewatch used to to the isdn connections to their alarm panels and im fairly sure this is how they do it with the ntl stuff.

Where have you wired on your phone extensions?

Based on the above post, i would imagine they need to loop through the panel, so the panel can give its self priority over the line if required. Have you just wired them in parallel with the output from the panel?

My alarm is about 7 years old and is not the wireless version, perhaps the technology is a little more simple. I connected everything together before sending a line to the alarm so unsure why yours doesn't work the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

I literally swapped the 2 eircom wires for 2 wires i made up from my new NTL box. I set the alarm of, eircom rang but the phones won't work right. I've abandoned the project for now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement