Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hdmi on xps 420

Options
  • 01-10-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

hi,

I'm thinkin of getting one of these ( probably a higher spec one at around €1400 on dell site ) but have noticed they dont come with hdmi out just dvi, all the xps laptops come with hdmi.

anyone know if they can be configured to have hdmi? it seems because the xps desktops use higher speed vid cards they are only configured for dvi whereas the studio models etc have lower cards but have hdmi..

i don't know to much about all this myself as i haven't upgraded in a while, i now dvi is basically the same pic quality but hdmi would be so much handier.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Adaptors can be purchased for a fiver off e-bay, some cards come with said adaptors in the box and a fair amount of the lower end cards have them onboard, as they'd be used far more for media center/HTPC type uses then high end gaming cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Adaptors can be purchased for a fiver off e-bay, some cards come with said adaptors in the box and a fair amount of the lower end cards have them onboard, as they'd be used far more for media center/HTPC type uses then high end gaming cards.

cheers man..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Compushed

Yeah, Single Link DVI-D and HDMI are 100% video compatible.

A simple adaptor to change the connector is all that's needed.

But if you're interested, here's what's different:
    DVI comes in many flavours, some of which won't travel over HDMI, notably DVI-A (analogue) and Dual Link DVI-D. But chances are you won't need either.

HDMI also allows audio to be carried, if your PC does DVI only then you'll need a seperate cable for audio.

HOWEVER! Some modern DVI graphics cards do HDMI over DVI, basically allowing audio over DVI (with an adaptor).

Also make sure you get the correct adaptor, what you want is a Male 24+5 DVI to Female HDMI.

There are lots of types!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Compushed wrote: »
    Also make sure you get the correct adaptor, what you want is a Male 24+5 DVI to Female HDMI.

There are lots of types!

nice one, so thats the adaptor to plug a standard hdmi in the back of the comp yeah?. I take it i could pick up a dvi to hdmi cable ( with the 24+5 ) that would do the same job.

btw anyone know if there are any new systems coming out as id hate to get my 420 and then see a newer version a week later

• Advertisement

Late reply!

Yep. That's the adaptor to plug a HDMI cable in to the DVI socket on your graphics card.

Advertisement