Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective housemate questions ?

Options
  • 30-09-2008 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hey !

Hope this is the right place to post this. My sister wants to rent out one of the rooms in her house (for the first time).

What sort of questions should she ask prospective renters ?

(It's in Kinsealey BTW)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does she mind if they stay in the house 24/7, or does she only want someone who works?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Get them into the kitchen, sit down and have a chat over a cup of tea..

If you can chat about anything with them, and have a laugh etc - then they are ok..

If chatting to them is like slooow torture [think Fr Stone!], makes your sister feel sick/intimated/scared/suspicious etc - then they are not ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 esmeralda

From my flat-sharing days I can tell you it's important to get straight your views on visitors.

People's ideas of reasonable levels of visits can range from no-one else but tenants ever cross the threshold, to my extended family,friends, boyfriend, etc. will also be crashing here 24/7( "Oh didn't I tell you I had 3 cats and a dog too?") .

You also have to establish if their idea of an acceptable level of cleanliness and order around the place is similar to yours. Your idea of normal may seem like obssessive compulsive level to them or vice versa. Not good.

Pretty well goes without saying that the agreement you have on the above points must have the same conditions for landlord and tenant.

For all the rest see Vaggabond's suggestion. Good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Yup I have often found an ever increasing tendency of housemates to have their bf/gf or 'friend' as they are sometimes euphemisticlally called, stay over.

Starts off they come around once a week...then they stay a few nights a week...then you find that the housemate and friend take over the sitting room and TV.....then the friend has their own vanity bag in the bathroom, your towel is taken off the towel rack and replaced by the friends...

Gradually and hardly without noticing it, you feel like you are imposing in the place you are renting, and you are in the way of the housemate and the friend. The bathroom is always taken up, the kitchen is always taken up, the sitting room and TV is taken up....no privacy any longer, you come home in the evening and the first person you meet is the 'friend' sitting there on the couch all day watching the TV you pay the ESB and licence for.

So set out the rules right from the off about friends etc. Your sister should avoid if at all possible 2 for the price of 1 situations.

Advertisement