Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Docu/Mockumentaries.

Options
  • 30-09-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Off the top of my head.

Walking with..
    Walking with Monsters (Pre dino age)
    Walking with Dinosaurs (Including Big Al Special)
    Walking with Beasts (Post dino age)
    Walking with Cavemen (Evolution of man)

Nigel Marven
    Chased By Dinosaurs (BBC)
    Sea Monsters (BBC)
    Prehistoric Park (BBC)

When Dinosaurs Roamed America (2 hour long. Evolution of dinos)

Dinosaur Planet (Narrated by Christian Slater)

The Truth about Killer Dinosaurs

Hm... What am I missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm guessing Chased By Dinosaurs is the WWD specials (Therizinosaurus, Giganotosaurus etc.)?

There was also Valley of the T.rex by Jack Horner but it is a completely biased mess of a 'documentary'.

The team behind When Dinosaurs Roamed did a series on mega-beasts and cavemen. It wasn't particularly good. Can't remember the name of it either.

If you want some older stuff there is an 8 disk collection of old Discovery Channel docs (one narrated by Geoff Goldblum no less!) that can be got in Golden Disks for about €20. I think it's called When Dinosaurs Ruled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'll check it out. Didn't know they did mega-beasts/cavemen, but when dinosaurs roamed america was pretty impressive!

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'll check it out. Didn't know they did mega-beasts/cavemen, but when dinosaurs roamed america was pretty impressive!

The mega-beast/cave men one is fairly poor IMO. The CGI is kinda bad. Plus the way the animals move is very jerky and unrealistic looking.
    The stories themselves are more based on cave man characters and stories and come across more like a poorly written drama than an informative programme.
    I think the name of it was something like Before We Ruled.

Ah I see.. I thought the CGI on the Dinosaur planet wasn't very good, but the episodes were interesting overall.

My favourite one was Pod's Travels. Although the science was a bit off by times the story and narrative were actually very good.
    Alpha's Egg and Whitetip's Journey were also quite good too.
    Didn't care much for Little Das' Hunt. I just felt the plot was very contrived.
    One thing that was a bit annoying in the series overall was the shortage of CGI models. They reused the same models for several kinds of dinosaur, sometimes without altering them at all.

• Advertisement

Also check out Supercroc. Hour long documentary about Sarcosuchus imperator narrated by Sam Neil.

Ohhh! Never heard of that, will check it out.

They have now added all 4 episodes of Dinosaur Planet to the veoh video network. You'll need to download the client or web-client to watch the episodes in full. I believe they will only give you a 5 minute previous otherwise.

Episodes 1-4 here: http://www.veoh.com/search.html?type=v&searchId=305667720163289218&search=dinosaur+planet

Found this article taking a swipe at mocu-mentaries.
    http://dinosaur.smithsonianmag.com/2008/11/04/thats-edutainment-the-problems-with-cgi-based-documentaries/

It is interesting how notable scientists such as James Kirkland can act in these things as if they were real.

I like em, they are entertaining. A great way to introduce a more casual viewer into the field.

• Advertisement

I think the article was attacking mocumentaries such as that one about aliens and animals that don't (yet) exist such as The Future Is Wild.

I found TFIW and other similar programs to be very interesting, taken with a large pinch of salt though.

Ad Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure (not to be confused with Nigel Marvin's similarly named show). Bought it in Tower Records O' Connell St, (above Eason) for €7.99 today.
    seamonsters.jpg&sa=X&ei=71hlTrKqO4ns-gaTmqj1CQ&ved=0CAcQ8wc4Eg&usg=AFQjCNHOmCgDiDJS8NupNMpS5I98RthMcQ

Of course this year we've also had/are getting:
    March of the Dinosaurs
    Dinosaur Revolution
    Planet Dinosaur

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Any other ones similar to the walking with Cavemen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

yekahS wrote: »
    Any other ones similar to the walking with Cavemen?

Living with Rubecula?:D:D:D

There have been a few showing how the rise of man had a devastating effect on some of the beasts bringing about their extinction. In my own mind I am not sure this is strictly true. Trouble is I can't remember any titles of the top of my head.

If I think of them I will repost them on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Beyond T-Rex. (Giga and Charcharo)
    Nobody mentioned JFC yet....
    Horizon - Dinosaurs of Patagonia or somesuch....
    T-Rex; Warrior or Wimp
    My pet dinosaur
    Animal Armegeddon

Galvasean wrote: »
    Didn't care much for Little Das' Hunt. I just felt the plot was very contrived.

I liked that. Especially when the Troodonts got cooked.
    There was a lot of slapstick in that episode.

I liked Lil Das' Hunt too.

Downloading the first two episodes of Dinosaur Revolution now :) They are on pirate bay.

Nobody mentioned JFC yet....

Cause it's crap! :mad:

I quite liked it. - Especially the "Big Voice Guy".

(Ok, I'll stop now.)

Ad Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure (not to be confused with Nigel Marvin's similarly named show). Bought it in Tower Records O' Connell St, (above Eason) for €7.99 today.
    seamonsters.jpg&sa=X&ei=71hlTrKqO4ns-gaTmqj1CQ&ved=0CAcQ8wc4Eg&usg=AFQjCNHOmCgDiDJS8NupNMpS5I98RthMcQ

Pretty good. Nice CG, good pacing and music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am going to be looking for this Galvasean. (Well you know my fascination for marine beasties) Thank you for the update.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Pretty good. Nice CG, good pacing and music.

Agreed, this one's very beautiful. No unnecessary gore, no constant pointless noises, and something rare in dino mockumentaries- peaceful, majestic scenes, like the ones you actually see in nature XD

Advertisement