Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Simpsons vs Family Guy vs South Park vs Futurama

Options
  • 30-09-2008 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

All good shows but I think South Park is the best cartoon on tv especially the latter series.

Second Futurama.

Family Guys good but to repetitive and Simpsons is too inconsistent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

South Park for me.

Family Guy got very old after about 3 seasons. Simpsons has tonnes of classic episodes but it too has faded in recent years.

I never really got into Futurama, the only character I really enjoyed was Zapp Branigan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I love Family Guy and Futurama.

The Simpsons IMO has being going down hill with the new episodes over the past 5 years or so. I only watch the older ones shown on RTE which are the best imo.

I watched South Park when it first started for the first season but it just didn't click with me. Watched a few of the newer episodes recently and I can see how much its improved and what I've been missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,813 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Simpsons in it's prime trumps all others.. it will always be that way.

You can say it's got terrible as of late (and it has)... but in it's prime, I don't think any of the above have, or ever will come close.

As for the others:
    • Family Guy - great in it's first 3 seasons, but tired of it when it came back. Gave up on early into the last season.
    • Futurama - very good, but I certainly don't think it's as goods as others claim it is.
    • South Park - quit watching in Season 4 or so. Watched some newer episodes and it really just doesn't do it for me.. it's shocking, fresh, very current and up-to-date in it's content but I really don't think it's all that funny to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Simpsons pre 2000, and the occasional lethal joke in the newer ones.

Family Guy is horrificly bad, the South Park two parter showing exactly why. American Dad is, surprsingly considering it has the FG writers, a pretty funny show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

King of the Hill is very funny, but is too subtle for a lot of people, the nuances and cleverness go right over a lot of heads.

The Simpsons series 3-7 are untouchable, there is detail and humour in every scene. South Park has been unbearably preachy since series 4 +, it shoves (often ill-informed) messages down people's throats, something the vintage Simpsons could have done in a single quip more effectively. I still enjoy the odd non-preachy episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Simpsons at it's peak was by far the best although it is now arguably the worst.

South Park I could never get into despite trying.

Futurama was underrated IMO.

Family Guy is still good but probably not as good as it once was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd have to say Futurama for a few reasons. Of course it is imaginative, witty and intelligent, but so was The Simpsons at its peak. The reason why Futurama remains my favourite is because it never jumped the shark (although the Beast With a Billion Backs ran out of steam a bit after an hour) whereas the Simpsons is now such a pitiful, joyless creature that I can't help but feel a bit annoyed at the writers for bringing a once iconic, pop culture changing phenomenon down to such low levels. Don't get me wrong, when the Simpsons was good, nothing could touch it (even going back today, you can easily find one or two new subtle and brilliant jokes in Season 4-9 episodes despite having watched them 7,8,9,10 or more times). But Futurama stayed solid for the duration, and cannot wait for the next two films despite the relative disapointment of the last one (although still a masterpiece compared to current Simpsons standards).

South Park is great, although there are a lot of dreadful episodes in there alongside the gold. When good, its excellent, when bad, it can be extremely lazy and pointlessly 'controversial'. Family Guy ran out of steam a long time ago, and the 'joke' has worn off for me: the lack of valuable satire and memorable characters meaning its the least watchable of the lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I watch them all and agree in the most part to what has been said already but here is my opinion on the 4:

South Park: The cleverest of the lot bar none, Unfortunately there are a number of very poor episodes in each season but the ones that are good or effect you(for example the WOW or family guy episodes) are simply gold.

Family Guy: I like it, Espically the early episodes. To this day I still use quotes from the first couple of seasons. Unfortunately It has gone down in the last couple of years but I still Ahem Get it.

Simpsons: Still watch the older episodes, Still find them funny. I only watch the new ones if they happen to be on. I dont even bother to sky+ them. I have started to notice how preachy it is though so its taken some of the shine even off the classic episodes.

Futurama: Kinda glad It was canceled before it went down hill like those god awful movies they have released. Great show, Prob My 2 Fav Characters from any of the series mentioned are in this being zoidberg and zapp.

Yeah Zoidberg and Zapp Branigan, pure gold. I think they still could have got another season or two out of it, at the start of season 4 they had a solid base to work off I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I would have to go with Futurama. It was consistently very funny throughout it's 4 seasons. But more importantly it threw in several episodes which had much more emotional depth then any of the other series have been able to do. (The episode with Fry's dog being a highlight)

I think the feature length dvds have suffered, not in quality, but through expectation. And on second viewings they greatly improve.

Simpsons of course has to be number 2. It has deteriorated in the last several years, but it's still one program you can watch and be comfortable in the knowledge that you'll have a decent time. (just not a great time anymore)

King of the Hill is number 3. It's generally a much gentler show than Family Guy and South Park, but much much wittier, sneaking up on you instead of crushing your skull with a 500 pound mallet.

South Park number 4. It can be great, it can be terrible. The episode with the poo and bono, just wasn't that funny. It's a sad sign when they're ripping off unfunny jokes from little britain (bitty).

Family Guy, number 5. It produced one of my favourite lines (Congressman: Cigarettes killed my father... and raped my mother! ). But this more than anything has fallen victim to lazy writing. That whole episode where Brian and Stewie bacame DJ's was terrible. With only the misusage of a Philadelphia quote actually been funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Family Guy is the best. The 1st episode of the latest season is Laugh out loud funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

American Dad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Classic Simpsons (Pre Season 12) > South Park > Futurama >>>>>>> Family Guy/New Simpsons

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Family Guy is excellent in the beginning, but the same formula for jokes is used repeatedly and gets dull. Stewie's one liners a hilarious though. Plus many of the jokes are irrelevant to non US audiences.

KofH is very underrated. Mike Judge does good cartoons!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

South Park. The short time between production to air keeps it fresh, and nobody does satire better than them IMO. There are usually one or two bad ones in a season, but when it's good, it is excellent. Futurama comes in at a close second for me, it's the most intelligent and probably the most witty of the 4. Both Simpsons and Family Guy soared over that shark long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The Simpsons is the only real contender. It pretty much started (or at least restarted) adult animation and from 1991 until 1995 it was the best TV show ever. The amount of memorable lines it had was incredible.

Futurama is the second best. It had a short but very strong run and had a lot of memorable characters. I didn't get into the show until near the end as the earlier episodes weren't the best but once it hit form it was very strong. Matt Groening clearly had more fun on that then the Simpsons at the time.

Family Guy was great in its first three years but it can get very smug about how edgy it is which damages it. I lost interest in South Park around S4 as the episodes were boring and only a setup for them them to have a closing message attacking the Democrats. When it is done right it is very good but that only happens sometimes. King of the Hill is good but is the hardest to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Boo-yah wrote: »
    Classic Simpsons (Pre Season 12) > South Park > Futurama >>>>>>> Family Guy/New Simpsons
    this ^

tbh the reason someone gave for no liking the simpsons (ie. rte/skyone showing them too much) is completely moot, they didn't force ya to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

1. Classic Simpsons- just can't be beaten. It had everything- lots of memorable characters, witty satire and (what the others are most deficient in , imo,) emotional depth. A lot of the jokes which went over my head as a child, I find hilarious now. :D

2. South Park- has really upped its game in last few years. Hilarious with witty social commentary. Kudos for the Mohammad episode (well, the attempted Mohammad episode). Some of the gross-out humor is a bit childish though, and the profanity seems like a bit of a cheap shot at times.

3. Futurama- it stayed consistenly good, but the new episodes will show if it will fall foul of " new Simpsons syndrome". Some good gags and characters, but not as good as South Park and old Simpsons.

4. A tie between Family Guy and New Simpsons- hard to know which is worse. They're both like those cool and edgy rock bands that went up their own asses, in an attempt to remain cool and edgy. The only thing is Family Guy went downhill a lot quicker. Got way too random, with too many songs, which were out of place. It's a bit ''America-centric'' really , and I never understood why anybody found Peter Griffin 'lovable' - he's just all the worst bits of Homer Simpson amplified with very few redeeming qualites. But Stewie will always have a place in my heart. :pac:

New Simpsons- tired, lame, ran out of steam. They're just doing episodes for the sake of it now. The recent 'election' episode with Ralph Wiggum had a sly dig at George Dubya- congrats, lads, you're about 5 years too late...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

you shoulda made this into a Poll (too late to change?)

for me... Futurama is probably the only one i would watch outof those !
    thing i started getting into Family Guy, or american dad or one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

For me at the moment I don't think it's even close. South Park = miles ahead of the rest.

I think Futurama is OK but I find the characters quite cold and hard to warm to. I like Family Guy but it tends to have many weak episodes and there's an awful lot of stuff used as filler. The Simpsons these days is just a piece of sh*t. A shadow of its former glory days when it was superb.

South Park meanwhile has improved with age, satirising everything they can think of whilst offering worthwhile social commentary along the way.

South Park ftw. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

family guy is definetly the best of the lot in my opinion.
    south park seems to have this thing against family guy because it is too random and not many jokes link in, but at the end of the day the show never fails to make me laugh and i love it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

All time:
    1: The Simpsons
    2: Family Guy
    3: Futurma
    4: South Park

Based on most recent episodes:
    1: Family Guy
    2: Futurama
    3: South Park
    4: The Simpsons

That's it folks, no need for any further discussion, unless you feel like commenting on how right I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Animaniacs was funnier than the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Assuming we're talking about each so at its peak I think it goes Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Futurama.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

keane2097 wrote: »
    Assuming we're talking about each so at its peak I think it goes Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Futurama.

Are we though, I think we're talking about the shows in general. For me it doesn't matter anyway. It's got to be South Park all the way. For consistency alone SP has been the funnier show. Don't get me wrong, I love the Simpsons and there are dozens of brilliant episodes but there are 5 times as many brutal ones. I'd never turn off an episode of South Park. As soon as you see Lisa or Marge though you're brain starts groaning and you have to turn it off. Family Guy is enjoyable but it loses because even though they're funny, the jokes are just put in too randomly. I'm sure writers on South Park could come up with random funny skits but they'd never put it into an episode without backing it up with relevant storyline.

Homer is the king i'll admit but they've ruined him forever cos they've kept it going about 8 seasons too long.

Futurama is a brilliant show at times but again, it hasn't got the consistency I don't think but when it's good, it's hillarious.

So South Park 1st for me but the other 3 are all really close imo

1st South Park
    2nd The Simpsons
    3rd Family Guy
    4th Futurama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Emilioooooo

Wreck wrote: »
    All time:
    1: The Simpsons
    2: Family Guy
    3: Futurma
    4: South Park

Based on most recent episodes:
    1: Family Guy
    2: Futurama
    3: South Park
    4: The Simpsons

That's it folks, no need for any further discussion, unless you feel like commenting on how right I am.
    This Guy speaks the truth, except for South Park should second in the most recent episodes, and third for the all time, but everythin else ya have spot on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 stan smith

family guy is way out in front at the mo. its something i could watch over and over. king of the hill next.strange sense of humor to the hole thing.then american dad. simpsons just gettin tired. futurerama and then south park.

going off the plot here but anyone know how many jobs homer has had?

id reckon about 80+.wats the best job he has ever had?

id reckon wen he was a bodyguard was d best?

The body guard was good alright.

I'd say the Plow King ,Mono Rail Conductor and when he joined the USN were up there aswell.

Almost forgot his website Mr. X, there's just too many.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

South Park>Futurama's prime (not the movies) > Simpson's prime

Much prefer South park and Futurama to the Simpsons. Futurama's cultural references and the small updated things make it better for me, also it's hard to ignore the animation being that much better than the Simpsons.

King of the Hill is too hard to compare to the rest. It's great but it's a different kind of show. 18.... a ballooners dozen. Fantastic

Advertisement